Home General Discussion

Just moved to Montreal - looking for friends

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
Salut // Hey!

I'm an experienced 3D envrionment/prop artist from the UK who has just moved to Montreal a few days ago. I love the city and am getting settled here with ease, however I am out here on my own and I would like to make some friends.

If any of you would welcome a newcomer to the city and would like to hangout then I would be very grateful  :)
Currently staying in le Plateau / Mile end area near the Laurier Metro but curious to see the rest of the city too.

PM/Email me to exchange contact info

Merci // Thankyou

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Si j'etais la, bien sur que je repondrais mon pote

...but unfortunately, I'm not there. 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Greetings.  :smile:
    Welcome to the city, although, it's a shame you're coming when we'r enduring one of the worst and grayest winter I've ever seen in the past years.

Hopefully, during Spring, we'll make a PC get-together in the area. And you really picked a good spot to live; tons of games studio and pubs in the Mile End area. 
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Welcome to Montreal!

There is a VERY active developer community in Montreal.

Mont Royale Game society:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/135987799795381/

Our IGDA Montreal chapter is pretty huge, and tends ot meet pretty regularly:
    http://www.igdamontreal.ca

Gameplay space just recently hosted a pretty large Indie Demo Night. They're worth following and going to events:
    https://gameplayspace.com/demonight/

• LiamWong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamWong polycounter lvl 2
    I stay in Mile-End and often go out around here with other Brits! :) Anyone is welcome to tag on a Friday night.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey welcome! im here in MTL as well, currently not going out much as im self imposing basically being locked in my apartment all day working on a new project during winter, but as the snow melts and summer arrives, I will be down for many a beer on the terrasses! suns out, guns out baby :D
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Maybe that could be time for a new montreal polycount meetup!
    welcome !
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Welcome to Montreal!

When I first moved here I met a lot of really cool peeps through the Mont royal Game society and IGDA meetup like Jacque just mentionned. Check it out!

• Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I love the city - it is a creative person's dream really with all the live music, bookstores, indie cafes and bars. Right now I feel very determined to land a job, make some friends and make it home :)

Unfortunately it seems that the MRGS socials are on pause and the next IGDA meetup is in 2020 according to their websites. I joined the MRGS facebook page though, which seems to be still active. I signed up to the Gameplay Space newsletter too, hoping to catch their next event.

Last night I went down to one of the bars in Mile End near the Ubi and Framestore offices and met quite a few industry pros and even a couple of artists.

Things seems to be going well so far, but if anyone here wants to grab a drink or some poutine sometime that would be really cool. Je parle Francais petit-peut aussi mais c'est pas facile pour moi maintenant (mais J'essaie!).

• Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! I am also aiming at getting myself in Montreal so it nice to see posts like this with lots of friendly people. Hopefully it will happen soon enough for me too and i manage to get a job. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to you! ;)
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U said:
    Nice! I am also aiming at getting myself in Montreal so it nice to see posts like this with lots of friendly people. Hopefully it will happen soon enough for me too and i manage to get a job. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to you! ;)

So Far I am loving it. I came out here prepared, but with nothing concrete lined up in terms of work. So after having sorted out my apartment, cell phone, visa and taking a look around the place, the hussle for studio work has begun!

Best of luck my friend

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Are you a Canadian Citizen? Or do you have an open work visa of some kind?

• Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you a Canadian Citizen? Or do you have an open work visa of some kind?

Hi Jacque.

I have an open work visa which is valid for the next 2 years (it can be extended through employment also). I know Eidos is looking for Level Artists and I have made an application there :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    A fellow UK-er, represent :D

Good luck with your hunt for work, you sound very determined so I'm sure you'll land something in no time. Keep us posted bro
  • Nuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuna node
    woah thats awesome. Why didnt you apply before going out there? You think its better to go out in person?
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch said:
    A fellow UK-er, represent :D

Good luck with your hunt for work, you sound very determined so I'm sure you'll land something in no time. Keep us posted bro
    Thank you! Are you an expat out here as well? The UK gaming industry seems to be booming right now. My last company nearly doubled in size while I was there and lots of work going around.

Nuna said:
    woah thats awesome. Why didnt you apply before going out there? You think its better to go out in person?

I had to come out here to activate my work visa or else it would expire. I am turning 30 this year and would be unable to reapply so it was a "now or never" opportunity. I saved up money over several years and kept good relations with my employer who said I was always welcome back - so although I had nothing lined up when I left, I still felt reasonably prepared. Being in the city is certainly a big advantage - I have already made some connections just from being in the right places. As far as employer's are concerned it is always preferable to employ somebody local (assuming their work is of a high standard). Far less expense and paperwork for relocation and work permits on their part.

• Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE - JOB INTERVIEW

Things are moving fast it seems - Only a couple of days after sending out my portfolio and resume I got a call from Ubisoft Montreal! Very excited to be invited there to talk with them - they have some serious talent in their teams!

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    No sir, I'm based in Nottingham at a mobile studio but would love the opportunity to work in Canada or Aus. Good luck with the Ubi interview, sounds quite exciting
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    Pegbird said:
    ....Being in the city is certainly a big advantage - I have already made some connections just from being in the right places. As far as employer's are concerned it is always preferable to employ somebody local (assuming their work is of a high standard). Far less expense and paperwork for relocation and work permits on their part.

I was also considering that at some point, to take initiative and go there, have visa and everything ready and then try my luck at some of studios because it's very hard otherwise. It's actually inspiring what you have done and already you have a talk with Ubisoft. 
    I am curious how will that turn out for you so let us know here. :) 
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Pegbird said:
    UPDATE - JOB INTERVIEW

Things are moving fast it seems - Only a couple of days after sending out my portfolio and resume I got a call from Ubisoft Montreal! Very excited to be invited there to talk with them - they have some serious talent in their teams!

Good luck mate you'll love it here !  :blush:
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth

@Pegbird

How are things, are you a happy Montrealer ? 😀