Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hudson H9 Pistol [Work in progress] C&C welcome

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
The Dark Shadow polycounter lvl 7
After learning Blender (coming from Max) I decided to get started with an easy project so I picked a gun, the Hudson H9 piqued my interest and seemed simple enough, of course once you start actually looking at it it's a little less simple then it first appeared but it was a nice exercise to test what I've learned in Blender so far.

I also wanted to step up my presentation and texturing so making a brand new gun that doesn't have a ton of worn out materials but in fact it's a big matte black lamp of steel was a nice challenge both to make interesting while still not adding loads of out of place wear and tear and also to show off as it's very low contrast.

I am making the whole gun but as I'm not just making the exterior shell I thought I'd try texturing and presenting the finished slide to see if I could achieve what I had in mind before finishing the whole project, also this way I can get some useful feedback and than improve before finishing the whole thing.

I'm going for that low key sleek product photography look, this is still a game asset (other than the huge texture which I'm using for the beauty shots) and once I've completed the whole project I will make a comparison with a version that uses sensible textures sizes just for fun.

If you are interested there's a bunch more on Artstation.

So well thanks for taking the time to look at and read my post, any feedback and or critiques are very welcome!

Replies

• Controller51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Controller51 interpolator
    Great materials - especially the dust particles!!
  • The Dark Shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yes this is definitely excessive for just the slide but as I said I had the hitch to see if I could pull this sort of thing off, that said I don't know what is considered fast or slow but this took me only a couple of days to texture and setup so not too terrible I feel considering the amount of faffing about and discovering I did while trying this! :)

Thanks for the videos by the way they will definitely come in handy!

Anyway I found some time yesterday and made the barrel, next up the frame!

This seems to be more worn out in the photos I've found so it was right up my alley!

Some more shots and wires over at Artstation!

At this rate I feel the frame will have to be 8k to match the density of the rest, the barrel is 2k and slide was 4k, which is super silly but oh well, it's fun.
  • The Dark Shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress update, started working on the frame, here's a progress gif, not particularly granular (because I made it going back through the incremental saves not while I was modeling it) but maybe it's interesting to see nonetheless.

About 5/6 hours of work total so far.

Asymmetric details, grips, trigger and palm safety next!
  • The Dark Shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been quite a busy few weeks but I managed to chip at it here and there and got the frame done!

More pics over at Artstation