Office headset recommendation?

polycounter lvl 4
Online / Send Message
JoshuaG polycounter lvl 4
I'm looking for a good headset to listen to music while working, but also need a mic attached to it. Anybody have any good recommendations that's below $150?

Replies

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    Not sure how much it is in US, but I would pick up any decently reviewed headphones with a frequency response you like (bassy, etc.). And get an Antlion Modmic to go on it. 

Gives you the flexibility then :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek greentooth
    +1. Avoid headsets if you can. For office use you'll be needing a closed pair so you don't leak sound everywhere and annoy your coworkers by listening to My Immortal for the 60th time that day. Something like a700x/a900x or akg550 perhaps:

Shop around, do your research, and be skeptical about what you read because there's lots of different audio communities and they all seem to have different opinions on what's actually good. If possible find a store where you can try before you buy. And make sure you get something that's easy to drive unless you want to have to shell out for an amp as well.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp polycounter
    headsets become rather uncomfortable for me after a while. they press on the ears and heat me up. unbearable in summer. i still have my pair of beyerdynamic's that i bought for office use but have switched over to in-ears from shure all the way. comfort is not an issue, they block out office noise far better and with the background rumble removed the sound is superior, too.

downsides - people don't notice them easily (i opted for the clear model) and just start talking to me. when worn in the streets the insulation is so strong i have to double and triple check all the time when crossing pavements and roads. only sirens, lorries and buses register.

i buy a new cable and a set of foam plugs every few years and keep the loudspeakers instead of having to throw the whole thing out like with many cheaper sets.

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    thomasp said:
    headsets become rather uncomfortable for me after a while. they press on the ears and heat me up. unbearable in summer. i still have my pair of beyerdynamic's that i bought for office use but have switched over to in-ears from shure all the way. comfort is not an issue, they block out office noise far better and with the background rumble removed the sound is superior, too.

downsides - people don't notice them easily (i opted for the clear model) and just start talking to me. when worn in the streets the insulation is so strong i have to double and triple check all the time when crossing pavements and roads. only sirens, lorries and buses register.

i buy a new cable and a set of foam plugs every few years and keep the loudspeakers instead of having to throw the whole thing out like with many cheaper sets.

That's pretty good advice and I have the same issue you described with external sounds being blocked, I sometimes have to take my earphones out to check things. If you're interested in going down the earphone route, I have a pair of SoundMagic E50S which are fantastic buds and are meant to be a little bit more "fun" than the often boring reviews some Shure sets get (which is actually a compliment in more ways than an insult).

The big issue with earphones is the microphone though, they're never really fantastic, just, good enough. For a desk I'd still recommend a full pair of headphones and as Bek says, ignore headsets wherever possible. Good headsets are very expensive, headsets under $150 are rarely good at both tasks without falling apart within a year.

For my home setup I have a pair of Sony headphones and a Samson desktop microphone but I'm thinking of replacing the mic with the Antlion Modmic since the desktop microphone picks up m mechanical keyboard just too well for my liking...
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm greentooth
    Haven't come across a good headset yet. I just have one around for Skype calls. In the past I was happy with a pair of Beyerdynamic - great sound and super comfortable - you can easily wear them all day long. Nowadays I stick with noise cancelling earphones - more expensive, but it makes a huge difference if you need to focus in an open office.
  • JoshuaG
    Online / Send Message
    JoshuaG polycounter lvl 4
    Bek said:
    +1. Avoid headsets if you can. For office use you'll be needing a closed pair so you don't leak sound everywhere and annoy your coworkers by listening to My Immortal for the 60th time that day.

I'm more of a Creed fan, but I take it there's a story behind this?
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga polycounter lvl 10
    Logitech wireless H600.

Very lightweight, good sound quality and reception range, usb cord for charging and a (fold away) quack pole for the occasional skype.
    Cheerio
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman polycounter lvl 5
    Alright so tried it last weekend, experience was sick but I didnt get it, too expensive.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii.html

Thought of it for two days and finally I snapped

The noise cancelling is crazy. Like real crazy I'm all alone at work when ppl are having loud speaks (but noise cancelling works better and perfectly on linear annoying noises like pcs, lights etc...) it actually makes me realize how loud the office can be even when people are quiet.
    Also I used to play my music at like 80-100 to really enjoy it, now from 20 is enough as there's no other noise to mask..
    luv it, crazy expensive (600 CAD with an extended warranty on it).

I snapped.

• Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd keyframe
    I have seen Philips SHP9500 recommended multiple times as great price/quality products. They can be used in combo with mics like V-MODA BoomPro Microphone. And you are around 120-130 USD.
  • Mark Dygert
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-stereo-wireless-120-ii

I picked these up at an outlet mall for $60, they are amazing, I love them. I would easily pay full price to replace them. 

They are light weight, super comfortable and the coverings last a long time.
    They are radio frequency not bluetooth, so there aren't any annoying pairing issues and they have a 300ft range.
    The base can hang on the wall or sit on your desk.
    The base charges the headphones, as long as the metal in the stand touches the metal in the headset they'll charge. 
    The on/off switch is great when someone walks up and starts talking at you.

The only downside is that people I work with like them and end up getting them, so then we have to manage the 3 radio channels so we don't end up broadcasting on the same channel. 
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks polycounter lvl 10
    I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD448 for work use and they've done me well for over 10 years now, same pair. Because they fit over/around the ear I've never had any issues with my ears becoming sore/uncomfortable after extended use. I would highly recommend. They're fairly cheap too.
  • BrianShray
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 2
    Im using the Kingston HyperX Cloud II and it works wonders. Certainly one of the best headphones I have used and its within your price point aswell. Mic is detachable for when you dont need it. Works with a PS4 aswell, just plug n play.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 4
    Recently got a second hand pair of Sennheiser HD600 from ebay think they were £180, really comfortable over the ear cushions and the sound quality is great i went with the most premium headset i could afford at the time. Could be combined with a microphone if needs be.