Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Texturing low poly objects with split UVs in DDO

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hi, 

I was wondering if there was a way of creating seamless textures on a low poly objects with hard edges in DDO? 

It looks like whenever I use DDO the materials completely ignore the scale and world space orientation of the UV's. It leaves me with an object that has visible seams all over the place which isn't ideal. 

Is there some sort of tick box that I am missing? If not, I'm struggling to see how it's possible to use this for any sort of texturing pipeline. 

Thanks in advance. 

Replies

• sharpened
    If you could post screenshots of exactly what you're trying to do, it would help.  

If you have a lot of visible seams, it seems like maybe your UVs are not as optimal as they could be.  Whenever you use DDO, make sure your UVs are in 1:1 space, if you scale your UVs larger you'll get repeats when you try and paint.  If you are simply applying a tiling texture over an object, there's really no need to go into DDO.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hi Barnesy!

I provide support for the Suite on Polycount, but I generally don't check Technical Talk more than once a week. Be sure you post in the correct subforum so I can see it on a daily basis. :)

@sharpened has good points - foremost of them is that I need images of what you're attempting, along with any other supporting documentation (including the project or the model itself) to have an idea of what's going on. UVs are critical for any texturing application, especially placement of seams. Let's see what you're up to and I'll be able to make a call as to what's happening!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Moving this to Quixel ...
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Jonathan,

Here are some screenshots - I've added a UV template as a quick overlay (there's plenty of padding beneath).

Originally I had the faces organised locally but my technical lead wanted them to be packed more efficiently I flattened them so they could be used at several mip levels. 

I tried using the fix seams tool as well as the auto fix seams tool in 3Do but it didn't seem to do anything other than mask out the specific layer on the specific face rather than blending it in with another part of the model. 

As you can see in the 3rd picture there are clear seams along the edges and the smaller cap faces have blurry textures as there is no connection between world space and texture space. 

I had to split the UV's in order to produce clean bakes but it looks like in doing so it is impossible to get seamless textures in dDo with the split seams. Is there some sort of split UV's setting that I haven't clicked?

Thanks in advance. 
    Mike 

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The issue here is the UV layout. I'm pretty sure you could get away with attaching some of those shells to minimize the amount of seams, which would also produce a cleaner model for run-time as there'd be fewer vertex splits and all that fun technical jargon that comes with it. However, if you need this layout to be exactly what it is, I'd suggest using a Color Paint layer to dry brush the edges to paint out the seams. You can do this by painting over all seams with a low flow value in 3DO. It won't be perfect, but it's a good solution.

Alternatively, I'd suggest redoing your UVs, maximizing the amount of space in your layout, and reducing the number of seams. Any seams left should be placed in the least visible part of the model.

Worth noting: "Fix Seams" in 3DO is not a tool that alleviates seam placement for materials. It's specifically a blending tool for hand-painted masks or any other 3D paint. It has no effect on material layers as it only affects Color Paint layers or DynaMask 3D paint.

Hope this helps!