Home Adobe Substance

How would I create a tileable texture in Substance Painter?

Easton
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Easton vertex
Hi,

I am about to need to create some metal textures for buildings, and in particular tin buildings. I think I am going to start off in Quixel NDO and add normal details to a blank tile, then move that into Substance Painter to add my metal textures to and make it look like the building I need it to, then I think move it into B2M, but I am not sure how I would do this exactly.

I think B2M would make the extra maps, is this correct? And I think I can then tile it somehow accordingly so that the edges tile well, how is this done?

Thanks!

Replies

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I think you're thinking about this wrong. Do you want one texture for one building or do you want texture sets to use aa multiple materials within an engine/renderer? Basically think of substance painter as 3d photoshop where the end goal would be to get texture sets for objects. Think of B2M as a way to extrapolate PBR maps from a single image. Basically if you're trying to JUST make a tiling texture set to use as a tiling material you would just put your NDO output directly into B2M as there is a tiling function that works wonders in it.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Or.

Export a plane with tiling UVs and paint on it in Painter.

Im struggling to see the need for b2m here (or ndo for that matter) 
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Yea or that, remember just because you have a software doesn't mean it's needed for everything.
  • Easton
    Offline / Send Message
    Easton vertex
    I think I found out how I am going to do it. Right now I am trying to learn how to add normal details in NDO then take it into DDO and just paint it, Problem is that I cant figure out how to paint something that is not actually an object...

@zachagreg Yeah that was the idea, but I noticed that B2M likes to mess up my normal details when it comes to something more of like a brick wall, it kind of manipulates the edges so that it looks off.

I am not sure if this way is better, but I was going to try to take a photo of a wall of a building, manipulate the image in PS, take it into B2M or just NDO and get the normal details from the picture, would this be better than hand creating them? And yes I am just going to use it for one building.