Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Question on Quixel Export Target

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
Hello.

I have a question regarding the Quixel Export Target settings. I`m not entirely sure I understand what they do
My render target is Marmoset 3, and I am using a Spec/Gloss workflow with the GGX reflection model. 

Either the  "Toolbag 2" setting or "Specular PBR (GGX)" will output Albedo/Spec/Gloss/Normal textures, but will it alter the final textures in any way from one setting to another? (ie: adjust roughness curve or anything of the sort) or is it just a way of telling what final textures you want it output (ie: specular map vs metal map) without doing any post processing on the files.

Thank you for the help,
Vick.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    GGX does indeed adjust the roughness curve. Some renderers have specific expectations for map calibration, some just take a standard map. Here's the XML for Toolbag 2 export vs Specular PBR (GGX):

<ProjectPreset>
    <UseMetalness>False</UseMetalness>
    <FlipY>False</FlipY>
    <Maps>
    <Albedo/>
    <Specular/>
    <Gloss/>
    <AO/>
    <Normal/>
    <Bump/>
    </Maps>
    <Calibration>Marmoset Toolbag 2</Calibration>
    </ProjectPreset>

<ProjectPreset>
    <UseMetalness>False</UseMetalness>
    <FlipY>False</FlipY>
    <Maps>
    <Albedo/>
    <Specular/>
    <Gloss/>
    <AO/>
    <Normal/>
    <Bump/>
    </Maps>
    <Calibration>Generic PBR (GGX)</Calibration>
    </ProjectPreset>

If you'd like a custom profile that has nothing done to the export, you can create a new export profile using the provided XML in <QuixelSUITE_Install_Directory>\script\presets\Project which is then placed in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Quixel SUITE\presets\Project for usage with DDO.

There should be an unprocessed PBR export available, however, so you probably won't need to adjust the calibration profiles.
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Hello @Synaesthesia

Thank you for your time.
    So to follow up on what you said, when does it add the calibration to the gloss map ?
    Is it when I select the standard materials that come with Quixel, does it calibrate the values once the material is created ?  
    After I create a material and let`s say I put a flat value of 100 RGB in my gloss map in photoshop and save all docs, that should be final anyway right ?

Reason why I am asking this is that I am looking into doing a list of specific materials that require specific values in Spec and Gloss that will be used to by other people. I just want to make sure that once they start a new DDO project and apply my provided custom materials, the end result is the same.

So finally, if I have already authored materials (from scratch and maybe using some existing resources that come with quixel/base materials) on a profile setting such as Specular PBR (GGX) and someone else opens the material on another machine with "Toolbag 2" profile , will this in essence re-calibrate the custom material?  

Thank you for your time,
    Vick.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    DDO should adjust the roughness curve when exporting, but not before, as there's no method by which it is capable of achieving this - e.g. no adjustment layers exist in the channels that would apply any curves.

DDO materials will be identical from install to install unless users adjust them after applying them. Using a different export target will calibrate the export to the expectations of the chosen profile - in GGX renderers, such as Unreal (or Toolbag, should you apply GGX shaders in it) it will have a roughness/gloss curve adjustment to reflect the GGX profile. It doesn't re-calibrate the material so much as it adjusts the entire map to the GGX expectations.