Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: 3DO render looks nothing like I expect it should

gonzo_3d
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
gonzo_3d polycounter lvl 6
New to Quixel suite but not 3D.  My 3DO preview shows a model in wretched shape - it seems the triangulation is wacked, etc.
I've imported a textured .obj file, and imported the baked normal map (generated from blender).
Since I can't adequately describe what has happened, I am including some screenshots showing the diffuse, normal (and I know there are problems with the normal map, esp. rear), 3do preview and the source model appearance in my 3d app.

Is this something I can fix (I assume 3DO is messing up with triangulation)?  The model is not solid - should it be?
Thanks

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Ensure your model is triangulated before exporting for previewing. :)

Let me know if that helps!
  • gonzo_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    gonzo_3d polycounter lvl 6
    I believe that was indeed the problem (imported n-gons)
    Thanks!

Are there mapping options in the suite toolset to smooth the geometry?  You can see divots in the surfaces here.  My normals seem to be smoothly interpolated, but perhaps there's just not enough geometry involved in the bake?  I understand the modeling bits are outside the scope of this forum, but some guidance would be helpful.

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm not familiar with Blender at all, unfortunately. The solution to your problem would lie in its export options for Wavefront OBJ. See if you can include normals with your export, as 3DO will only display what it's given to display. If no normals are given to the model, it will attempt to generate them, which is likely what you're seeing with the pure smoothness on that particular object.