Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Lighting / Mood Studies

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
emekozben polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone,

I`ve been working on realistic environments lately. This time I tried something lean with different lighting and mood setups. 
I used Maya, Substance Designer & Painter for creating the assets, setup the scene in UE4 and took high res screnshots.
Dynamic lighting, no lightmass.

Thanks!

For some other shots: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xX3Ar

Replies

• emekozben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another artwork -Interior
    UE4 - Lightmass

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The lightmass one looks great but the lightmap compression artifacts are kinda visible on the front wall even on the lit shots. There is a checkbox in the world settings under lightmass, called "compress lightmaps". Disabling this would fix the compression errors, but it will also make your lightmap sizes (in mb) much larger, but I think if its for presentation purposes, its fine.
  • emekozben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Obscura, you`re right.
    These are just quick presentations. I baked it in High settings, did not try production bake. It may take too long. 
    As you said there are a couple of options to solve these artifacts, unchecking `uncompress lightmaps` and make texture size bigger and also scaling up object lightmap densitıes. The main purpose on these artworks is to catch a general mood and work with different materials in a realistic environment. 

Thanks for the feedback :blush: I should have mentioned my purpose and bake settings. I`ll bake the scene with better settings
  • emekozben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corridor UE4 Realtime Lightmass practice

Lightmass in High Settings 
    PBR Metal/Roughness pipeline for game projects -  [Maya - Zbrush (optional) - Substance Suite - UE4 / Unity / Marmoset]
    not an archviz so I keep the textures and lightmap sizes optimal for a game
    This month I`m updating my PBR Metal/Roughness pipeline by creating all kinds of environments. 
    In this practice I tried to catch a general mood and light in a grungy building with different light sources like the previous ones.
    Hope you like it!
    Thanks...

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the first scene, good work! nice models and textures on this latest one but to me the lighting looks far too bright for the small light sources, I would expect some noticable bounce light on those walls but they look almost completely bright all across the surface? the light also seems quite cold across all light sources, shouldnt some be a little warm?