Home Technical Talk

Convert PBR to Diffuse map

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
hi all i was wondering if i can create a diffuse map from the PBR maps?

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Since the diffuse/albedo map is just a diffuse map with no light information sure...?

Unless you mean, bake down all of the information? You could do this too

You could also take a look at the baked lighting utility in Substance Designer/Painter which isn't PBR but will give you a nicer looking result than all of the PBR maps baked down
  • Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if I'm missing something here but yes, and in most cases you don't need to do anything. Just plug your Diffuse albedo map to  as you diffuse and you should be set.
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry i should of been more clear, i mean like baking everything down and what are the best maps to bake into the diffuse? im so used to working in pbr that i am finding it hard to do it
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    sorry i should of been more clear, i mean like baking everything down and what are the best maps to bake into the diffuse? im so used to working in pbr that i am finding it hard to do it
    You kinda don't...
    The diffuse map should really only carry diffuse information and light baked in if you're doing that too. You can't bake the roughness or metalness of an object in really.
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    You kinda don't...
    The diffuse map should really only carry diffuse information and light baked in if you're doing that too. You can't bake the roughness or metalness of an object in really.
    ah right ok i will look into the substance painter baked lighting then
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    The "baked lighting environment" can give you kinda good results in substance painter and is easy to use :) just dont forget to bake a world space normal
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah baked light worked great in as well as baking the normal map into the basecolour
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    What you want to bake in depends greatly on what the target Shader does.

Assuming we're looking at a phong with diffuse, spec and normal it'll help to multiply the ao map gently  over the top of the albedo and add a gentle highlight to anything that pokes out - you can derive that from height if you have it or ao if you don't.
    Spec will want to be a combination of glossiness and some colour for metallic reflections (not necessarily the specular colour defined in the pbr material because there won't be nice IBLs) 
    You'll be eyeballing everything so test values in game 

A lot of  people will  just multiply the ao over the top, copy and convert it to grayscale for the spec map and go home - those people don't deserve jobs though so don't do that.