Home Career & Education

How did you react to landing your first game dev job?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JordonBritz polycounter lvl 6
I've always been curious as to how I'll react when I get that first break into the industry, so I'm curious what it was like for you guys who currently work in the industry. Were you self taught or went to college, and how did it feel when all of your hard work finally paid off? Thanks!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Depends, first freelance or first full time job?
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any is welcome :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    First freelance was weird because it was part internship, part actual contract work, emotionally speaking.  I was just glad I was working.  Helped that the Tapzen folks are really nice people, and firm handed.  I was still living in a flat near uni (which I graduated from a semester early), and found myself on campus in the evenings to finish the game we were working on for our senior thesis, The Maestros.  I happened to be Art Directing 20+ artists that year.

First fulltime job, I thanked God that the two and a half years of inconsistent financial existence would come to a temporary end.  One of the better Christmas gifts I got.  That call for an interview initially came as I tearfully was retreating south from Seattle to LA because of a botched Microsoft contract.  It was snowing and I was in a parking lot of some mountain town mall.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I know I had a few small game jobs before this one, but back in the summer of 2009, when I started my internship at Sony in San Diego, I thought that was my actual break. Getting the gig through my portfolio.

I was freaking out. I was a huge Nintendo fanboy at the time, and I felt like I was enemy territory. I tried to talk to every artist in my team. They were all Seniors or Mid-level. I know I bothered them a bunch, especially Ryan Benjamin, a Comic/Concept Artist. I was so nervous to mess up in the job, and obsessed over the work, and tried not to play around in the office. The feeling was pretty cool, just the feeling of breaking in and working with people who worked on games you're familiar with or heard of. So, how I saw it, was that you try and learn from the internship and use whatever experience you have there to the next job and all that. It was a totally different vibe after the internship.. (went to QA, wasn't brought full-time after). But, that internship started it off, and it was fun as hell. I'm sure once you break in, you'll love it.
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garcellano @Brian "Panda" Choi That's actually really awesome, I expect to have exactly that same feeling of sort of awe, getting to work for studios you've heard of for years. I really appreciate the response guys!
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I landed my first job at Guerrilla Cambridge. I was scared shitless, I had to learn Maya from scratch, learn the inhouse tools AND the models I had to make were all done by curve modelling which I've never done before (or since, thank the gods). I already started modelling on the second day... but people were nice and my model wasn't ripped apart until I was settled in so that's something. Did I mention that every day I was looking for an apartment in a university town and I had a week to find something?

The rest was great though (no, seriously!) and the amount of experienced people I was surrounded with was intimidating, but in a good way.

• JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bedrock That's an awesome story. I already know if I land a job in the industry I'll be intimidated, and definitely scared. In a good way lool. 
    Just looking at your portfolio, you're extremely talented and I really appreciate the response! But back to what you said, how do you handle the moving aspect assuming you live far from the studio, like having to find an apartment quickly? That's something I've always wondered about. Do you stay in a hotel temporarily until you find one, or something else?  
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Can't speak from a studio perspective but from a freelance perspective landing that first paid job is intimidating as hell. You have to remember your people skills to sell yourself as a professional, you are finding your feet, no idea how to price yourself up.

If you get a nice client though like I did it is a truly humbling experience, someone, somewhere in the world has chosen you over lots of others. It is a lot of pressure to live up to expectations but once you do more and more you start to settle in and can give future clients that little bit extra from the lessons learned before.

However in a studio you would be surrounded by what would hopefully be very helpful professionals who can guide and aid you if you feel you are lagging behind a bit. In freelance you generally have yourself and your client to feedback, you could do a piece the client is happy with but from an experienced persons perspective the work you did could be substandard. It makes improving yourself through client work tough since most work you do is under NDA so you can't post online asking for feedback!

When I land my first studio role I imagine I will be in the exact same boat as everyone else. You are surrounded by masters of their craft which is bound to be overwhelming at times but in the end you had the skills to get noticed so I don't imagine they would be so quick to throw you under the bus if you go wrong.

If you are polite and not overbearing I am sure many people would be happy to show you some good hints, tips and workflows so see it as an opportunity to draw from a well of experience.
  • JordonBritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rmunday I appreciate the response! I have to agree, being surrounded by a team of people who are all helpful and masters of what they do will likely benefit you anyways, nonetheless the day I land a job like that I'll be both excited and terrified. Are you looking for a studio job or do you want to continue freelance?

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    @JordanB12 Honestly I am looking for studio work while I freelance. I jumped into freelance with no studio experience (I would not recommend doing this, it was a combination of bravery, stupidity and a crushed retail soul) Don't get me wrong people are happy with the work I produce however I feel I am missing out on a lot of personal development and progression by not having those aforementioned professionals to slap my hand when I am doing something wrong.

I can always do personal work to get feedback over on the animation section of Polycount however freelancing doesn't leave much time or energy for it!

Freelance is more the fear of consistency in the finance side of things, you may pick up lots of jobs but they could be low paying indie jobs that won't help you survive. I have been quite lucky in that regard, picked up some very awesome professional clients.

Never going to stop trying for that studio job though and you seem to be in the same mindset, keep up the portfolio; every year there should be a steady improvement and eventually with the right amount of time and effort you will be at your first day in a studio terrified of all the amazing professionals that surround you.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    JordanB12 said:
    @Bedrock That's an awesome story. I already know if I land a job in the industry I'll be intimidated, and definitely scared. In a good way lool. 
    Just looking at your portfolio, you're extremely talented and I really appreciate the response! But back to what you said, how do you handle the moving aspect assuming you live far from the studio, like having to find an apartment quickly? That's something I've always wondered about. Do you stay in a hotel temporarily until you find one, or something else?  
    The real question is how does the company handle it? Some places will do everything or at least offer enough support that you just pop up to look at the apartment and sign stuff. Somewhere around the interview or after you get hired you should definitely enquiry about the accommodation process. In my case it was getting a phone call on thursday -> accept job -> you work on monday. The support was "here's a hotel for a week, good luck. We can extend it but, y'know."

Bigger companies have their own accommodation or have a contract with a local complex. For my current job I arrived in Korea, was given a code to the door and the address which was 10m walk from work.