Home Career & Education

Money is important - Story of my first freelance gig as a beginner

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Doodlok interpolator
Hello people of Polycount! 

Sorry for somewhat click-baiting title : D I just wanted to share and talk about my previous freelance experience and importance of charging the right amount.

So I felt like my skills were getting ok, and really wanted to put it to test so I took up a freelance job, creating 20 illustrations for a novel. 

This being my first proper freelance gig with no paid experience in prior, and since I am currently conscripted in Military (I made these points crystal clear to the client and he still was willing to go on with the gig), I charged ridiculously low rates. 

I guess I took this so lightly since I haven't had any strangers paying me for my art, except for the occasions where my art was bought by faculties and friends, and I thought was ok with being charged low (again, ridiculously low, whatever you think I got paid its lower than that) since logically I calculated all of my context (no experience, already having a military position) into a discount. 

Welp, I was never so wrong. 

I instantly panicked when I realized that I've never had work with the material, composition and theme I was not comfortable with for the first time. I didn't want to call quits because no matter what I still agreed to this myself. I had to really grind myself to learn how to draw in different perspectives, character types and holy shit literally everything. This, mixed with insanely low charge, literally broke my weak-ass artistic integrity and I had a hard time. Unfortunately I acted unprofessionally couple of times too. 

I didn't want to give up though, and I really wanted to finish this project so I pushed myself, learned and learned and I managed to reach the end with it now. In the end, although it was a painful experience, I learned so much on not only how to act professionally but also on how lacking I am with my skills, and specifics of where I lack that I must work on. Also the dedication required to every project. Perhaps the most important lesson I learned is that proper compensation is actually a excellent source of motivation to keep yourself involved with the process. 

I have no idea why I'm writing this, but I guess I just wanted to share the story to everyone else. And I'm not too sure if any beginner out there like me trying to get a freelance gig and considering charging ridiculously low rate just because they're beginners, but I wanted to say low charges is a reasonable choice, but don't go too low since that will wreck your confidence and motivation : /  

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Did you feel like canceling the contract was ever on the table once you realized what was needed for the work?
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @Brian Panda" Choi" 
    I was considering it quite often, but the client was happy with the quality of my works produced and he made that clear. So I kinda felt like if I drop out of this because it was harder than what I expected, I would be disappointed at myself, like seriously disappointed.

And since low financial output, no matter how naive I was, was my idea initally that I agreed on so I felt obliged to take responsibility for what I said (especially since this was my first gig).

Maybe Im just being an idiot (probably am) but yea..

Also I made sure that my client is happy with the quality of my work and workflow constantly. (I think he was satisfied due to the low budget)

Why can't I tag you properly? this is weird : / @Brian "Panda" Choi

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Doodlok wrote:

So I felt like my skills were getting ok, and really wanted to put it to test so I took up a freelance job, creating 20 illustrations for a novel. 

This being my first proper freelance gig with no paid experience in prior, and since I am currently conscripted in Military (I made these points crystal clear to the client and he still was willing to go on with the gig), I charged ridiculously low rates. 

Sounds startlingly familiar, not in terms of competency level or business acumen per se but contextually in that I had received a number of commissions for artwork whilst serving my term of military enlistment way back when. So yeah I admire your tenacity seems as though you'd not only fulfilled the relevant contractual obligations alongside learning a very valuable lesson into the bargain by not 'selling' yourself to cheaply for any future jobs that might come along.

Kudos.      

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yeah money is always a good motivator to keep the fire going, sometimes when I look for less experienced artists they sometimes offer me ridiculous rates because they are just so desperate to get any sort of paid job, so I usually pay them more then they ask for, because even if someone says they will work for less the risk of losing their will and using the low pay as an excuse to maybe not be so professional is always a risk, and for someone that hires people it just makes more sense economically to hire people at normal rates if you take all the risks into account.
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @sacboi

yeee, military conscription sucks in Korea : /  but I really appreciate the comment, biggest lesson Ive learned is that if Im not 100% confident about my work I shouldnt blindly just jump into any paid gigs : D 

@Jonas Ronnegard

You are the the patron saint of all the beginner artists D: Yeah, I really learned the lesson first handed. 
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Recently started freelancing, all sounds too familiar. Putting a value on your own work is so damned hard, I found that if you are forward with most clients and say you may over estimate the charges and time just to cover your own back. Most clients are quite happy if you are honest, if it takes less time and effort than you anticipated then knock the price down accordingly.

Strong moves by keeping it going though. Especially for such a rough first paid gig, keep it up and with each piece you charge for you will start feeling out more and more what you are worth as an artist.