Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] The Rift

vertex
Offline / Send Message
bobashek vertex
Hi guys! My name is Jaywon Joo and these are the first stages of my entry to the 2017 Riot Creative Contest. I'll be posting my inspirations and references soon but I am a little pressed for time at the moment haha.

Right now I'm in the development phase where I try to figure out what champions I want to include in the painting and what abilities I want each of them to be using. Back in high school I used to main Twisted Fate and after reading about his relationship with Graves, I was inspired to create a painting in which one is saving/protecting the other. The idea I've decided on is a team fight in the river in which one team is fighting Baron but they're being ganked by the other. 

I'd really like to keep Graves in the image but I'm currently struggling with the composition. Trying to manage all these colors and champion abilities has proven to be quite the challenge haha.

Comments and/or critiques are more than welcome and best of luck to everyone!

Current:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Replies

• bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    Morning everyone! Here's some more progress I've made on the piece.

Initially I just blocked in the colors to see how everything would sort of fit together but I realized I needed to establish the value structure before doing anything else. I also needed some way to unify the image so I've decided to change the champions to those with glowing abilities so I could light Baron and create some sort of flow throughout the painting.

Still undecided about the champions, I think Arhi is a good fit for the space above Baron as her Q will cast a blue light on everyone in the scene. I'm also considering putting Katarina on the bottom left corner doing a shunpo/bouncing blade to cast a red light and complete a primary color scheme.

• bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    I got the idea of having TF launching off of one of Baron's legs and now I'm currently trying different compositions to see how I could make that idea fit. Still unsure about if I will keep it as I really like the first one but I might try mixing number 1 and 3 when I get home from work.

I also think it might be cool to break the fourth wall and have Katarina attacking the viewer who is possibly about to gank/steal Baron?

• Rishabh_Sharma007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good going, nice.
  • bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    Thanks Rish! :smile:

I've decided to change directions as I really wasn't connecting with my initial image. I feel like it is too much about Baron rather than about the champions in League and it also kind of looked like an advertisement for Yu-Gi-Oh haha.

So after some exploration, I've arrived here.

My mind doesn't want to think right now so I'll go more into depth later but pictured above is a scene that I thought of while reading Twin Dawns.
  • Aquallis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aquallis null
    Hey! If you're having some issues with composition Su-ke's Deviantart has a whole bunch of useful pieces which might help. Also I've found LoL's official videos help significantly with character cohesiveness and telling a story in general. I love the camera angle that you've chosen to go with - it really makes the scene epic, the colours also really pop and draw the eye well!

Keep up the good work!

https://su-ke.deviantart.com/gallery/
  • bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    Thanks for the tip Aqua! Suke has definitely been a major inspiration for the exact reasons you stated in your message. A huge goal of mine is to attempt to capture the same magical atmosphere(?) that he puts into his work but easier said than done haha.

Just an update on my painting. I've fleshed out the characters and have changed the composition a little bit. I'm currently struggling with the composition of the trio up front however as I really like how the first one fills the space but I feel like the second composition will allow me to make the environment more grounded as well as give Aurelion Sol some space to shine.

We'll see what happens. Honestly, with the impending deadline, I can't linger for too long haha.

• bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    Update!

Fleshed out the champion's outfits a little more and then spent the afternoon attempting to establish a general color/lighting scheme. I initially wanted to make Aurelion Sol the primary focus of the painting but I'm playing with the idea of having the Aspects be the focus and having him fade into the sky.

We'll see, I'm really liking the way the second one feels but I think if I make better color choices on the third option, there's potential for a more interesting and exciting piece.

Still, the story I wanted to tell was Aurelion Sol's displeasure in being caught up in the petty fights of the Runeterrans and for that reason shouldn't he be the focus of the painting?

Ah, my brain hurts haha.
  • fleetingthunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleetingthunder triangle
    Liking the current wip so far! That camera angle really brings a sense of power in Aurelion Sol. I would like to suggest to have him face in the same direction pantheon is pointing, so it makes him feel a bit more part of a team fight maybe?
  • bobashek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobashek vertex
    Hi thunder!

I've decided to have Aurelion Sol facing away from the others because he really isn't part of the team. In his lore, he's tricked by the Targonians and forced to comply to their orders so I really wanted to capture him being unhappy about it but still submitting to their will (with the sideways glance).

Still, the fact that this wasn't made clear just by looking at the image is definitely something I'll need to consider so I really appreciate the feedback!