Home Career & Education

"Intermediate" Artist need some help

vertex
Hi, Im Josh from Germany currently Studying Graphic-Design and Visual Communications.

I have this problem: I want to become a Concept Artist. I have a pretty solid grasps of the Art basics and principles, im not a beginner artist so to say.
right now im copying a lot from Artbooks (Mainly game art) to learn the worklflow of some Artists and discover how they achieve their results. My problem now is that there is a lot of Tutorials and guidance for beginners and for more professional ones, but i feel like there is a drought for the inbetween time. This gap between those skill levels is wierd because I neve see like other artist that would be on a "intermediate" level.
So now, for the real question: what should I do from now on? continue studying other styles and ways to do Concept art? Trying making my own concepts and go until im suddenly "pro"?

I would really like to hear some of your experiences and advises in this topic. I can´t be the only one ( I hope).

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Trying making my own concepts and go until im suddenly "pro"

In short ... YES!
    The inbetween time is just hard work.

Share your portfolio so people can help.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Once you have learned the fundamentals and know how to create an image, then yea, it pretty much comes down to putting in the work. 

There is no magic bullet tutorial out there that will take you from where you are to being a pro. 

That skillset is developed by the thousands of hours of hammering on your craft. You are going to have to produce hundreds of concept paintings before you get really great, and the best time to start is now :)

I would definitley start doing your own concepts, it will expose your weaknesses and people will gove you feedback to help. If you are just constantly copying other images, its hard to know if you have a good grasp on essential skills like composition and color theory, because a more experienced artist has made those choices already ans you are just duplicating them. 

Doing studies/recreations can be good for fine tuning the micro skills like brush work and technique , but having a handle on the macro elements such as color, lighting and composition is where the big art gainz are made. 
  • itstimetohosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    itstimetohosh vertex
    Okay thanks for you feedback I already thought that it would reduce to "grinding" like there is no tomorrow and polishing those base skills.
    I will try to start doing my own concepts and start sharing them so that i can get feedback and critique and grow in that way.
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
    I would keep doing that and share work, keep getting feedbacks from leads.