Home Marmoset

new to toolbag - SP to Toolbag question about UDIMs

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
demonslayer polycounter lvl 3
Hi fellas,
iam new to toolbag (just bought on the sale) and thought about importing my recent model into TB.The point is it consists of 20 Udims or "Texture Sets" - >means every Object has offsettet UVs.

What is the best way to import this in TB?
Do i have to set each UV back to 1/1 to get the textures to work at all, or is there anything like a tag to be used?(In vay you can use the <*.UDIM> tag to load multiple UVs.
I can hardly believe that i have to set up 20 sepearte shader for my scene then?

let me know :)

artstation danielbauer

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag does not support UDIM textures, so you will need to set up 20 material IDs in your 3D app, each with a unique material (one for each UDIM). You should not need to remap the UVs to 0-1 space, UVs outside of 0-1 should work fine.
  • demonslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, so i have to rethink my used workflow when aiming for the marmoset viewer.
    As for now i even have problems stacking the correct converted textures from Subtance Painter into the TB shader (metall/rough) because i have meshes that dont share the same UV tiles.For example - the head/arms/legs of my char consist of 1 single mesh, but the UVs are placed on 2 UV Sets.(I wanted much UV space for the face/head).

About the IDs - iam not sure how you meant it.You suggest to built 20 shaders in 3ds max for example to then import the fbx with those into TB?
    Maybe not a bad idea, i could ask the programmers in my company to write a script for 3ds max to built 20 shaders out of the udims.
    So sad it does not support multi UVs.Its so easy to work with.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you would need to create a shader/material in 3ds max for each UDIM, and have a unique texture set for each of those that you load into each material in Toolbag.

If your target is Viewer, I would suggest going with a more traditional video game style material setup where you have one or two unique texture sets/materials. 20 UDIMs, unless the resolution is real small, means a whole lot of texture memory, which will most likely perform very badly or outright crash on most devices.
  • demonslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help on this topic, it worked out
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qVnrn
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    Baking with multiple texture sets only works for me in 3.05 when I put all UVs of all objects into 0-1 UV space (and assign separate materials to the objects I want to bake separately). If I don't, baking finishes very quickly and produces empty maps with just a single color each for all UDIMs outside 0-1 UV space.

Is this normal? I have done this before, and thought I layed out the UVs in UDIMs. This does not seem to work (anymore ?).

Did they change this in 3.05, is this a bug, or did it never work to lay out the UVs outside of 0-1 UV space?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 said:
    Baking with multiple texture sets only works for me in 3.05 when I put all UVs of all objects into 0-1 UV space (and assign separate materials to the objects I want to bake separately). If I don't, baking finishes very quickly and produces empty maps with just a single color each for all UDIMs outside 0-1 UV space.

Is this normal? I have done this before, and thought I layed out the UVs in UDIMs. This does not seem to work (anymore ?).

Did they change this in 3.05, is this a bug, or did it never work to lay out the UVs outside of 0-1 UV space?
    This is normal and isn't new for 3.05. UVs outside of 0-1 will be ignored.
  • demonslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have to dig out own topic again as i hoped we can do this now.
    my wish for 2019 - UDIM texture bakes :blush:
    + hidden objects wont cast shadows/invis for DOF picking
    Have a great new year guys,

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have to dig out own topic again as i hoped we can do this now.
    my wish for 2019 - UDIM texture bakes :blush:
    + hidden objects wont cast shadows/invis for DOF picking
    Have a great new year guys,

You can bake UDIMs with the texture set feature, it requires a little extra work but it's feasible. What you need to do:
    1. For each UDIM, give the low poly faces a new material, ie: 1001, 1002, 1003, etc
    2. Make sure to move all UDIM uvs to the 0-1 UV space
    3. Enable texture sets

There, now you'll be able to bake UDIMs as texture sets.

I don't understand the request about hidden objects, can you clarify that?