Home Adobe Substance

Trying to set up a shared shelf within small studio for multiple artists

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
There doesn't seem to be any tutorials on this, closest I've found are tutorials explaining the shelf system.

It seems to be down to this? So I create a new 'shelf' and can potentially link it to my own folder (ideally a folder contained on a shared network within the company).

Only it doesn't seem to be doing anything, I still have access to the standard content and it's not picking up anything on the new folder that I've directed the new shelf to. Actually it seems to have copied lots of the standard stuff into my project folder for some reason  -

What's the best way for me to set this up please?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    it is indeed as simple as putting a folder somewhere and having everyone point at it.

You don't want it to be your default shelf though,  I forget exactly why tbh. 
    iirc I copied the original shelf directory and deleted all the files inside it for the one we use at the office but I'm sure that was unnecessary. 

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The default shelf is the location is where every new preset (brush, smart materials, etc) will be saved. If you have a common shelf among artist, you may want to have it in read only more and have a curator on the side instead.

As for your content not appearing, it can take a bit of time during the startup for us to discover the resources. You can take a look at the log file so see if the crawling has been finished. 

Also additional shelf requires to follow the same folder structure. See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Adding+content+on+the+hard+drive
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This is what we do as well. It's a bit of a pain, since I don't believe this setup allows for the refreshing of sbsars. If I update an already existing material, artists have to reload the program to get that change. Am I correct, since the refresh option is only limited to an asset that was imported to their respective project only(or current session, I forgot which)? 

The default shelf option is definitely something to be aware of though. We've run into multiple issues of export presets being changed globally and our shelf being populated with a bunch of random stuff gathered from the internet  :D