Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Best indie mocap setup?

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I'm interested in building up a small mocap setup to animate my FPS arms and characters. I've been working a lot with iClone Characters and Blender/Rigify. I was thinking of using Leap Motion and buying the iPi Motion Capture for full-body animations. Do you guys know any other cheap technology around?

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    there's perception neuron, the software tracks small marker pucks that can be placed anywhere on the body. $99 package comes with 6 marker pucks and rig for single arm capture. the main selling point is mobility (no capture stage) and scalability. also SDK for various development needs

there's also Brekel capture, split into body and face packages. works similar as iPiSoftware, using camera and solving video and depth information.

I've seen a mobile mocap system before but cna't remember what it's called.

the only one I've used before is first version of iPi. adequate for the price. fairly small capture volume if you're using Kinect, but should be enough if you just want arms.
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Notch? I've seen it, but maybe i can only use it to capture poses. There's a lot of noise and no way to clean them up.

Perception Neuron definitely looks interesting.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    ah yeah, that's the one. Basically perception neuron on mobile, seems little pricier. No way to clean up? It outputs to BVH I think, from there you can clean up with Character Studio or convert FBX and clean up with pretty much anything.