Home Technical Talk

Tris in games

deckseck
vertex
Offline / Send Message
deckseck vertex
Hi i want ask you one thing . why games have tris in areas with high deformation like shoulders o even the face , i download models for dota 2 and i see tris on the shlulders and why isnt a problem for rig and animate ? Why use tris instead quads for that areas and last what advantages have tris instead quads on games 

Thanks and sry by my poor english

Replies

• wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    All geometry gets triangulated for in-game rendering anyway (as they are faster to calculate). There are no subdivision surfaces in games where tris could produce unwanted distortions, so inserting tris is absolutely ok.
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex
    Okey thanks but tris are good for rigging too?,i ever. Ear that tris are bad for rig and animation and dont allow natural deformation in the animations

Thanks again :)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    its better yo have tries on the right place than quads everywhere and messup the shape... its easier to deform a quad strip yes... but a tri in some areas arnt bad... if the polycount is to low its impossible to get a good looking model without triangles.... dont worry to much about tris...

if they are in problematic areas the animator or your lead will tell you... first make it nice... 
  • deckseck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deckseck vertex

thank you very much for the help to both I will try to put it into practice