Home Career & Education

How to get foot in the industry?

Boyani
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boyani vertex
Hello everyone. I will try to make this topic small as much as i can.
I am 29 years old, and i am coming from very very good paying job. But. i do not feel fulfilled, even i can afford many things in my life and have very decent life. Luckily for me or bad for me, i still don't have my own family,

I want to work for gaming industry or movie industry. I always wanted to be invoked with people who make games, and millions of people play those games. Mostly, i am interest in Environment and Character modeling. I really much want to start with Environment, since learning Anatomy its a bit more too much for me for start. 
Where i live, we don't have games studio or any thing with 3D.Can i find a remote studio that offer remote jobs, just to get experience enough for me to find  a game studio to relocate?

How do i stand with portfolio, as total beginner? I see studios want shipped title, how to get that title? Or, how can i make a portfolio, that will get attention to potential employer?

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Shipped title or equivalent experience for junior positions.

Game development is not like other industries where you simply apply for a job and learn the stuff while you go. You need a lot of experience before you can even think about applying for a job. Use your free time after your day job to get the basic knowledge and build a portfolio. After two years you should be good to go.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    A good portfolio certainly helps, but it also matters where you apply, as in which country/city and if there are openings.

Certain helps to network. I know several people with relatively junior portfolio's that have gotten junion positions on account of their friends being on the inside. I don't know if its really worth getting in that way, but it might be depending on where you take the opportunity.

None of this is required to become a good artist though. That is all on you.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Reading the "Game Industry" sction of the Wiki may help as well.  We've got tons of articles on breaking in and portfolio advice.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I'd say you're at a good spot just posting here and getting people's eyes on it. I'd recommend networking around. Post your work online. Follow artists on social media, chances are they'll follow back, and slowly you'll be familiar with them online and their art.