Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-Painted | Stylised | Low-Poly - Assets - Advice/Guidance?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
MPearson triangle
Hey there,

I recently took part in a 'just-for-fun' art challenge on Twitter set by @JagexAoB, which was to model and texture an elemental water sword based on a piece of winning concept art from stage one. As you may have already noticed from the Twitter handle, this was a RuneScape related challenge, which is also one of my favourite MMO's.

I'm looking for critique, and guidance, be as critical and harsh as you can be :) If you know of any good learning sources/material for this sort of style throw them my way, or if you know of any good brush packages for Photoshop that you recommend I'd love to give things a try :)

This piece is the first time I attempted any sort of hand-painted textures.

More screenshots of the sword can be found here, along with all of the textures:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/X6y2D

Shortly after, I grew fond of the painterly style and want to progress and develop my skill set in this area, so I decided to create another low-poly asset:

Again more shots can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oV2Xm

Thank you,

Michael Pearson.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You've got a good base, but not sure why it's a lot lighter than the original concept.  It doesn't match.

With this sword, I think it would actually benefit from a little more shader work, using opacity and refraction elements of the Marmoset shader to get to look like transparent water a lot more than this solid object you have right now.  Have you played around with those?
  • MPearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MPearson triangle
    Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, I was trying to keep to a similar colour palette to what is frequently used within RuneScape for the majority of their water-based stuff.

Still pretty new to using Marmoset (second trial right now) so haven't really played around with the opacity/refraction much, so I shall have a little look into those :)