Home Adobe Substance

Unwanted detail being displayed in renders, unsure of the cause or the solution?

Danface
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Danface polycounter lvl 7
Hey, 

I've got this problem where some of the model detail (in some cases it's detail that shouldn't be there) is being displayed when I render my model in substance painter. I've checked all of the exported maps and it doesn't appear there (or at least I can't see it). With the dials, I can half understand as what is being displayed is also what the high poly looks like, but with the other assets, all the polys are neatly aligned and there is still this detail visible on it and it's driving me crazy.

Replies

• Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After trying numerous different things, I think I can put it down to being the material itself that is doing it somewhere within hidden settings or how it was made as other materials and smart materials display fine.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    This is unfortunately a limitation of Iray. We don't have any control on how they filter textures, which can lead to some artifact sin some extreme cases.
  • Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok said:
    This is unfortunately a limitation of Iray. We don't have any control on how they filter textures, which can lead to some artifact sin some extreme cases.
    I managed to run into this problem again and so I decided to see how often it would appear. I would say it is very far from being an extreme case - using just a low poly square baked with a high poly square and then applying a fill layer with max roughness gives this issue. I don't know if it's anything I'm doing wrong, but this seems to happy with as simple steps as possible and would very much like a solution to this as this is really killing trying to make something quite reflective. Anything above 0.65 roughness allows these to start showing.