Home Technical Talk

Having trouble with XNormal-generated normal maps. Any alternatives?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Alfax polycounter lvl 7
I'm not too experienced generating normal maps with xNormal, but I've used it a couple of times before and I've never gotten results like these. The edges on my character's armour seem really dark and imprecise, and you can see some tris in the normal map itself.

To the left you can see the original ZBrush sculpt (decimated to improve performance while quad drawing). The model in the middle is the lowpoly version made in Maya, and to the right is the same lowpoly model with the normal map I got out of xNormal. I even tried dynameshing my sculpt and smoothing it again, but the normal map was almost identical. Is there a setting I'm missing that I should be fiddling with? The rough texture on this normal map almost looks like it didn't even come from the right model.

I apologise for what may seem like a very dumb issue in advance. I wanted to try making the normal maps with ZBrush itself BUT my sculpt doesn't have any subdivision levels so I may have screwed myself over there.

(On the flipside I learned how important subdivision levels are, right? Lesson learned for this Zbrush scrub.)

Replies

• Zalek4
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    How are you setting up your cage in xNormal? You can either have xNormal compute one for you, also known as the "ray distance calculator" under the "tools" tab (which I do NOT recommend), or you can make a custom cage for your model (which I DO recommend). 

If your cage isn't set up right, that could be your problem.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It doesn't look like a problem with projection.. 

Is the green channel flipped? 
  • Alfax
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    Zalek4 said:
    How are you setting up your cage in xNormal? You can either have xNormal compute one for you, also known as the "ray distance calculator" under the "tools" tab (which I do NOT recommend), or you can make a custom cage for your model (which I DO recommend). 

If your cage isn't set up right, that could be your problem.
    Oh, I'm actually not using a cage right now at all. That's most likely the source of my problems. Think it's the first time I've ever really needed one .

I looked it up and most people recommend grabbing the original mesh and moving the vertices along their normals to create the cage. Unfortunately the results weren't that much different so I'm wondering if I'm doing it the right way. If you could assist me with this I'd be incredibly grateful.

In the meanwhile I'll create another lowpoly mesh to see if the lowpoly mesh itself is causing trouble.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This looks a whole lot like a normal map being applied as a bump map.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It does rather now you mention it
  • Alfax
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    pior said:
    This looks a whole lot like a normal map being applied as a bump map.
    Oh lord, as a matter of fact, yeah, it is. I'll blame this on the lack of sleep. Posted the OP pretty late and my brain probably wasn't functioning properly. Setting it as a Tangent Space Normal map doesn't get rid of the strange quads and tris in the normal map itself, however. That, and the weird artifacting still persists. The normals themselves seem to be a bit all over the place too.

I'm working on a new lowpoly version right now and I'll report back after I test that out. Maybe it just needs some extra work.

Again, thanks for the help you guys!
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Ill just copy paste a post I made not to long ago.

--
    In Maya, make sure the bump2d node is set to tangent space normals and not bump.
    Maya also colour manages images, you want to disable this for your normal maps.
    Basically set the colour space to RAW in the file node.

Also make sure that the green channel is correct. For Maya you want it to be +y.
    If the green channel is flipped, for example you made your normal maps with UE4 in mind, but want to preview it in maya as well, a quick trick i use is to play around with the colour balance of the texture.

Set the colour gain to 1, -1, 1 and set the colour offset to 0, 1, 0.
    Doing this means you dont need to go rebake your maps with the correct handedness or simply invering the green channel in photoshop or whatever.
  • Alfax
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the colour space suggestion! That already made the normal map look a lot better, and it fixed most of the silly shading issues I was dealing with. I made a new highpoly version and an updated lowpoly to go along with it as well, and I'm supper happy with the improvements thus far. I still see some strange shading here and there and some of the artifacting is still there, but I know I can at least deal with the latter using Photoshop.

I'll most likely have to up the resolution on the normal map itself but other than that, most of the issues I mentioned are gone.

P.S.: I tried using a cage but I'm not entirely sure if I got it right. I need to make a slightly inflated version of the lowpoly version for that, right?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "but I know I can at least deal with the latter using Photoshop."

Try not to do that as it will most likely backfire later down the line. An artefact means only one thing : a technical problem. There is no justifiable reason for your nmapped model to look any different from your high when they are next to each other.
  • Alfax
    Offline / Send Message
    Alfax polycounter lvl 7
    Setting up a cage got rid of the artifacts! That would be all for now friends. I super appreciate all of your help!

(Only the weird shading remains but it's gone when I render out the scene so I believe it could just be a viewport problem)