Home Adobe Substance

Tangent synch issues when Importing normal maps from Xnormal.

GIS3000
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
Hi everyone,

I was wondering....

I noticed that the normal maps baked and exported in Substance painter were almost identical to those created in Xnormal. I checked them out by overlaying them in photoshop. I guess that's due to them both using the Mikk Tspace method?

However, when I imported the normal map, it did not display properly in the painter view port. 

In fact, when I imported the very normal map created in Painter, exported and then re-imported, the normal map did not display correctly either.

Is the viewer's tangent space calculation different from Mikk Tspace?

If that's the case, how can I import a normal map baked in an external program? Or should I just forget about this method and just high poly bake the normal map in Painter?

thanks for your time
GIS3000

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if they're both using mikkt space then in theory results should be identical.  It might be down to the way you're importing the model - eg.  are you consistent in terms of whether tangents/binormals are imported between xnormal and painter?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure to triangulate the mesh before exporting it to XNormal, SP or any other probream where you will either bake or display the model.
  • GIS3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GIS3000 polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks. I think that worked.

Apparently, the issue was created when I exported with the Zbrush presets, which exports a mesh as a quad without normals.

The model must be exported with normals AND trianglulated.

Thanks for your time.
    GIS3000