Home Unreal Engine

Textures are too dark

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hello.

I got the problem that all my textures are too dark in UE4. No matter where I create the textures (Painter or DDo) and no matter what what format I use (TGA, PNG and even tried JPG), they are too dark. I doubt that cranking up the brightness in the texture settings is the way to go.

Any idea what causes this? It is not anissue with post effects etc, the textures are too dark in every scene and alslo in unlit mode.

Thanks

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Color maps should be set to sRGB. Make sure its enabled on your colormaps, and disable on any not color map. You can also disable eye adaptation - set exposure to a fixed value so the screen brightness wont jump around based on what are you looking at. To do so, click the button that says "lit" on the top left corner of the viewport, -> exposure - > set it to some value.
  • Menchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen polycounter lvl 3
    Whenever you are working with textures, disable all post process.
    Also, in texture settings, the option "srgb" should be enable for color textures, and disabled in "data" textures, such as metallic, roughness, ao maps... Enabling srgb on roughness specially, will induce huge pbr errors compared to reference.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Diffuse is set to SRGB, RMA is not, no post and even in "unlit" its too dark. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Can you show a picture of how does it look outside of unreal versus in unreal?