Home Career & Education

Need Tips/Thoughts on - From Intern to a Permanent at a studio.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
Greetings fellow Earthlings,

I am looking tips and thoughts on how to move up from an intern to a permanent at a Studio. Any insights or if someone went through this would be really cool. 

Curious what people have to say!

Many thanks and may you win all of your Ranked/Competitive games.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    This seems like something that would be much easier answered by the company you are interning for.  Have you asked your direct superior what are your options/prerequisites for advancement?

I interned at my first studio for six months and then I just straight out asked them if there were any open positions for junior artists and what it would take for me to get hired to a full time position.  My questions got passed up the chain of command and after a week or so I was offered a position.
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    @CrackRockSteady That's really cool, will try asking my lead about it thanks! :smiley:
    What was your reaction like after they said yes?
  • CrackRockSteady
    @dropyhop I was definitely very pleased but it wasn't a big surprise or anything.  I knew they were happy with the work I had been doing and I meshed well with the team so I don't think it was a difficult decision for them, it just needed to be passed through the proper channels for approval.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    The long and the short version: spend as much time building friendships/relationships with the people at the studio. so many people just focus on the art side of things and neglect this, thinking that they just need to be an art badass. Become an asset to the team and studio and make the idea of you not being there any more hurt a bit ;) 

more in-depth version:

I know there are many different opinions about unpaid internships and there are certainly pros and cons. However regardless if the internship is paid or unpaid, there is certainly opportunity to be had. I would focus on clearly establishing an insanely good value proposition for the company, that also will help you achieve your goals of getting a job there. basically demonstrate that its going to be a pain in the ass for them to go through the hassle of finding someone who is a good fit for the team while you are already there.

This means  being a great artist and pumping out work that fits well in the game with as few revisions as possible, so take the opportunity to learn from more senior artists on the project who sit nearby. See what techniques and tools they are using to get work done faster and at a consistent quality level. This is a good opportunity to find an awesome mentor, and while you don't want to be asking questions every 3 mins, a lot of people do get a sense of satisfaction in providing mentorship.

Secondly, I would be quick to join any team outings to the pub or bar after work, or join in studio activities. This is where a majority of work friendships are cemented and bonding with the team is really important if you want to have an army of voices recommending you for a position in future. an internal recommendation is like solid gold in this industry and usually jumps you to the top of the HR pile. So many people skip stuff like this and then wonder why someone who might not be as good of an artist as them got picked for a promotion or fulltime position over them. You need to be seen as a member of the team and fit in well. Never underestimate the power of networking, and more importantly friendships in the work place. It has saved my ass more than once and also provided me with many more concrete job leads than my portfolio.

Third, know your value. If the end of the internship is coming up and you have asked about coming on board full time and they have been wishy washy on a response, I would be looking for jobs in your final couple of months of your internship. If you can let them know you have an offer on the table from another company, it is going to give you some leverage and you will get a concrete answer out of them a lot quicker.

Some people might think this is a dick move, but this is a business relationship. By demonstrating you are aware of your value in the job market, I have found you actually get more respect from producers and decision makers. It's like when they see others want you, they are quick to retain what is theirs. Having multiple offers on the table most times I have gone to transition studios/jobs has only ever helped me. Don't be a dick about it though, even if you find a job elsewhere, finish out the internship and don't burn that bridge for future opportunities. If another studio really wants you badly, they should understand that you have a commitment and give you a month or so to finish it up. 

If you are a well liked member of the team, pumping out consistently great art then chances are they are going to see you as a valuable asset they need to retain and will most likely offer you a job if there is an open position, or in some cases, even just create the opening to keep you around. A jr artists salary vs the costs of finding, recruiting (potentially paying moving costs etc) and training someone new is usually enough of a bargain for a studio that they wont even blink (if this is a big AAA studio, indie studios might be on a tighter budget). 

whew. hope this helps!  Long story short, make good art, be friendly, don't be a dick.
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher
    Really appreciate you spending time to share all that. 
    Thanks a ton! :3:smiley:

• dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher
    @CrackRockSteady

I am super excited to share with you that I will be starting full time in 2K Czech from next month :smiley::blush:

Thanks again for your inputs!

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Awesome, congrats :) what was your biggest takeaway from the process that you think helped you transition to a job? 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That's so gangsta.  Noice job!
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    Thanks, man! I love your stuff :9

@PixelMasher

Definitely points that you shared here, apart from that some big and small takeaways  -

1) I was swapped a lot between different teams with different leads and requirements. It gave a huge opportunity to mingle. I assume that flexible nature and being a piece to fill in and adapt to the needs of the team did most of it.
    2) Whenever I showed my work I made it presentable, took in feedback (not just on an asset but overall behavior)
    3) Knowing technical aspects and as well as artistic.
    4) Trying to look for solutions when stuck and looking for ways to improve tools.
    5) Every morning I have a habit of browsing Artstation so whenever I saw something helpful for someone, I would share it.

At some point, I thought this is the right time to ask lead and let him know that I am interested in staying here as its fun. He replied with,'' Yes, I also want you here, everyone who worked with you talked good about you''.

It did take some time to sink in after he said that xP But that's how I got to know I made it in.
  • CrackRockSteady
    congrats man!  Really happy for you :smiley:
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    dropyhop said:
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    Thanks, man! I love your stuff :9

@PixelMasher

Definitely points that you shared here, apart from that some big and small takeaways  -

1) I was swapped a lot between different teams with different leads and requirements. It gave a huge opportunity to mingle. I assume that flexible nature and being a piece to fill in and adapt to the needs of the team did most of it.
    2) Whenever I showed my work I made it presentable, took in feedback (not just on an asset but overall behavior)
    3) Knowing technical aspects and as well as artistic.
    4) Trying to look for solutions when stuck and looking for ways to improve tools.
    5) Every morning I have a habit of browsing Artstation so whenever I saw something that would be helpful for someone, I would share it.

At some point, I thought this is the right time to ask my Art Director and let him know that I am interested in staying here as its fun. He replied with,'' Yes, I also want you here, everyone who worked with you talked good about you''.

It did take some time to sink in after he said that xP But that's how I got to know I made it in, in a game studio.
    Congratulations! Great things worked out for you!
    Could you if possible tell us more about your experience getting the internship. 
    Also was speaking Czech  a requirement to working at the studio? 
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    @CrackRockSteady
    Thanks for your tips :smiley:

@NikhilR

I applied online in my 4th year got rejected and then applied again in my final year and somehow things worked out.

No, there wasn't any requirement like that. The studio has foreigners and locals both and  we converse in English. We do have Czech language lessons. I would assume knowing language may help in Asian regions like Japan or China but not in Europe.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    dropyhop said:
    @CrackRockSteady
    Thanks for your tips :smiley:

@NikhilR

I applied online in my 4th year got rejected and then applied again in my final year and somehow things worked out.

No, there wasn't any requirement like that. The studio has foreigners and locals both and  we converse in English. We do have Czech language lessons. I would assume knowing language may help in Asian regions like Japan or China but not in Europe.
    Thanks for the info!
    Czech seems like a nice place!