Home Adobe Substance

*SOLVED* FBX vs OBJ? Why is my mesh baking bad with FBX?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx ngon master
Hey Guys, same modell, same cage, same HP. 
Approach one FBX 2013 (tested with 2013-2016, same problem) 
Binary, Triangulated, Turbosmooth are on
Tangents and normals also
edge orientation check.
Smoothng groups checked. 

2K maps on both tests. 
Same settings on both in SP 2017. 
And you can see the problems. 
Yes UV islands are set.
Hard edges at every uv island. 

FBX

OBJ

Replies

• Dumbanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    Well if the mesh hasn't changed it's definitely an issue with the FBX export settings.  I would take a wild guess and say there is an auto-scale happening somewhere, like a change from centimeter to metric and your high-poly is potentially getting scaled away from the low poly.

Could try reimporting the FBX file itself into your project and see if anything noticeable is different.

Good luck!
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you're exporting from max snapshot the object and export the snapshot.

Also the scale thing above is a good shout
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Fbx export is set to metric cm.
    max snapshot? No Idea what that is tbh!

looks like i have to experiment and see what the issue could be! 

Thanks for the answers!
    (Btw ive reset the xform on HP and lp, reset the normals to)
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Solution found: For some reason i set my HP export to be triangulated. Not a good call. 
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    The problem is you set the turbosmooth checked on, Painter can't recognize your turbosmooth modifier and just import the un-turbosmoothed version. It's kinda confusing that the setting seems like asking whether you want to keep your TS or not but in fact it's asking you whether you want to keep and export your TS modifier or not (if the target app, in this case Painter, which didn't support modifier, it'll just import the mesh without TS). So just turn off that checkbox and you should good to go.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Revel said:
    The problem is you set the turbosmooth checked on, Painter can't recognize your turbosmooth modifier and just import the un-turbosmoothed version. It's kinda confusing that the setting seems like asking whether you want to keep your TS or not but in fact it's asking you whether you want to keep and export your TS modifier or not (if the target app, in this case Painter, which didn't support modifier, it'll just import the mesh without TS). So just turn off that checkbox and you should good to go.
    thank you!
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    For reference... 

snapshot in max (tools menu I think) copies the mesh in its current state to another object.

For fbx export I usually snapshot to mesh for a couple of reasons..
    1: it collapses all modifiers (including worldspace/ spacewarps etc.)
    2: it reinitialises the mesh which leads to far fewer surprises with hidden edge direction/unwanted triangulation /weird normals etc.  In the target application (especially maya)