Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE 4 ) underwater facility (Artstation Challenge)

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys i have participated in Artstation's beneath the waves challenge  i will post W.I.P's here too it will be great if you guys give me feedback's. 

concept from Leo Brynielsson

https://www.artstation.com/contests/beneath-the-waves/challenges/32/submissions/24131?sorting=latest

my Artstation Challange thread- http://https//www.artstation.com/contests/beneath-the-waves/challenges/37/submissions/25199?sorting=latest  

Replies

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Main Building Exterior blocking almost done

i will add other parts while creating full highpoly .also in blocking stage i am chamfering edges to get smooth look and some places i used turbosmooth to get even more smoother look  .  
    i did some minor changes which are not visible in concept .

Now i will proceed to terrain and rocks blocking , Then next will be background building  and main building interior . 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Scene blocking done

cliff are rough for now i will tweak them later . 

now i will start working on modular parts of main building then interior .

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Some more progress

Main building Baking is done so for a change i decided to work on cliffs then i will remesh them and project on detailed sculpt to get back shapes and then use them in scene upon that i will use tilable textures and vertex paint them . i am little confused about this workflow if you guys have any idea's and feedback's it will be really helpful. 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

some scanned rocks

Yesterday my brother was cleaning fish tank so he took out all the rocks , i decided to attempt photogrammetry and use them in scene , Maybe place plants inside and around them to blend with environment . This is just a rough version i will sculpt on top of it and then bake and also tweak albedo a little bit . 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

some tilable textures

Some of the materials i created for the scene. I am not good at substance designer so i searched some good tilable textures and then took them to bitmap2material  and extracted Height , Normal and base color then i took them to substance designer and did further details and i have changed albedo a lot .

GROUND MOSS FLOOR

GROUND ROCKY

CLIFFROCK

SOME GRAPHS , THEY ARE REALLY SIMPLE I CREATED MY OWN MOSS SHAPE THEN BLENDED ON TOP OF HEIGHT .

Texture's i used 

• Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a very ambitious project you got there. Thanks for showing your processes I'm finding it very helpful. I'm a Substance designer noob myself and its always helpful to see different workflows. I'm actually quite impressed with your materials for someone who calls himself bad at a program. I know artstation challanges are quite difficult and I'm hoping im not being too impolite for asking a question. Would you mind telling me which node you used to apply the moss onto the rock? Was it just blend? I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and I wish you good luck with the challange Shubhar Kumar.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a very ambitious project you got there. Thanks for showing your processes I'm finding it very helpful. I'm a Substance designer noob myself and its always helpful to see different workflows. I'm actually quite impressed with your materials for someone who calls himself bad at a program. I know artstation challanges are quite difficult and I'm hoping im not being too impolite for asking a question. Would you mind telling me which node you used to apply the moss onto the rock? Was it just blend? I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and I wish you good luck with the challange Shubhar Kumar.
    Hi Krystain  for the moss on rock its just  used gradient map blended with texture and a mask is connected so i can get moss only in valleys. in next node i copied same gradient map with different hue and blended it with previous blend and also mask is connected for breakup  

i used curvature smooth which is connected to normal map then leveled it to get peaks and valleys mask then used them in blend node , you can blend your mask with noises to get variation . Hope you find it useful 
  • Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shubham kumar
    Thanks for that answer its indeed very helpful I appreciate the effort too. I havent thought of using a gradient map and noises for masks before, I must try it out, in your case it worked out great.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started to texture main building . This is base now i will create small chunks of moss in mesh and manually place them wherever i need 
    Something like this - http://catlinseaviewsurvey.zenfolio.com/florida/h2b6c23aa#h2b6c23aa
    some feedbacks on this will be really helpfull guys. 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Received  some feedback's from my friends so i made some changes to base metal .

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    testing in engine , also added some moss in painter 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

some texturing improvement in substance painter

i will remove the inner hole cover mesh later 
    Critiques and feedback's are Welcome

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

main building base texture done ,  later i will use vert paint and decals to make it more interesting 

i will now for a change start working on cliffs and vegetation later i will  work on interior and background building.

Also i did a quick bake with directional light with 0.5 intensity and skylight with also low intensity , but roughness of building is totally gone and albedo has turned dark . 

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY TIPS FOR HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH LIGHTING  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT .

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

some plants update

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Slowly building the scene

Hey guys , its been a while but here is my progress , i am showing in Detail lighting mode in lit mode scene is little bit dark  due to bad lighting i will fix later .The  hardest part for me are the  rocks and blending them  so they don't look repetitive.
    right now i am working on cave i have a really awesome composition in my mind  for the cave . 
    i have never tried  something like this so this Artstation challenge is really challenging for me but also really exciting  . 

• JuhaKeranen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JuhaKeranen vertex
    Absolutely loving this! Do you have some sort of plan laid out for the progress? What's still to come?
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely loving this! Do you have some sort of plan laid out for the progress? What's still to come?
    right now i am working on the cave after that i just have to add some small items and decals , after that just texture corrections and lighting . 
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Need some lighting tips 

Hey guys this is just a test lighting  . I have a single spot light coming from the interior with volumetric effect i have to add more lights for sure .

i also added some bubbles .  i will check my Albedo values for darkness before that i will add some fishes .

if you guys have some tips for adding fish please let me know .  

and also please let me know if there is  some way to create  optimized  GIF from Unreal Engine smiley for Artstation.

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Some lighting progress

i took screenshots of changes i made still some tweaks are left then i will do the final production render  . 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also added some Human's inside the building

Did some humans using MakeHuman software   http://www.makehuman.org/

and animated them using Mixamo.com                         https://www.mixamo.com/   

i tried to reduce the GIF file size as small as possible 

hope you guys like it 

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Final Screenshots 

This was my first time creating a environment  it was very difficult to work on the challenge while have a full time job but i also learned to Self discipline  , some times i didn't want to work at all but i had to . Btw it was really fun to be part of this 57 days journey and witness  great artists shaping beautiful environments . i am still not happy with the result but i tried my best and i think its time to let go .

some asset breakdowns