Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pineapple Grenade Prop

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last post after moving, but here I have some prop work of a Pineapple Grenade. It's 1044 poly's and the textures are 4k, but I'm reducing it down to 2k for future use but for these screens it's full res 4k.

It took about 3 days start to post.  Hope you guys like em. (Based on an actual model that is sitting on my desk, it's been de-commissioned and has no powder in it) 

Thanks for looking, and feel free to critique this one.

Replies

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I dont believe you, I think you have a fully functional grenade at your home, maybe some other weapons, but you are just not telling us the truth.

I thing your normal noise detail is a bit too much, no?
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Larry,

No the grenade is safe, there is a hole cut out of the bottom, (That's how they sell it) that has the gun powder taken out of it.  The normal noise is really that way, I don't think it's exaggerated, it just seems that way because of all the models out there, that don't have that extra detail. I think that modeling from your reference is better than from just some image you found online, for just that reason, so you can see that extra detail. I do think that the model should be taller and it may be a bit too saturated but that could just be the HDR lighting inside of marmoset. 

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    If you add surface detail noise to an object, always keep in mind what game the object is for and from what distance the player is seeing the object. Based on this you can decide what level of detail is really needed.
    Game props are never just copies of real world objects, you have to adapt them to get the best result (similar to edges in a high poly for baking, you don't use the real-world edge curving, but a slightly softer curving the the light and form is better to read). 

• brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good point, let's say this prop is a grenade icon for in an inventory and not on the battlefield. That being said, I changed the resolution from 4k to 2k and got rid of all the shiny noise. I think I'm happy with the result but you guys let me know what you think. Thanks