Home Career & Education

Any Texture Lessons for Beginners?

onyichi
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
onyichi polycounter lvl 7
So I've decided to put my degree to use and try and become a texture artist. I know a little about texturing but I still have so much I need to learn.
Are there any youtubers or online courses other than CGMA (looking for something that won't cost me $700+) where I can start off learning texturing?

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Pluralsight (Digital Tutors), Lynda.com or Gnomon Workshop plus try Gumroad as well.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    What software are you focusing on? If you have a PC with WIndows on it, you can download "Visual Studio Dev Essentials", which includes 3 months of Digital Tutors for free. Digital Tutors was great for helping me learn and understand the basics/fundamentals of texturing/modeling/everything else.
  • Barbarian
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Find a simple reference scene of a real object that interests you. Model that object. Create UVs for the model. Create a texture using Substance Painter and/or Photoshop and try to make your model look as close as possible to that object. Render it in Marmoset using PBR Metal-Rougness, trying to get the lighting as close as possible to the original reference. Upload rendered image for critique. Ask questions. Fix it. Upload it again for more critique. Ask more questions. Rinse and repeat over and over. Don't quit. When you can take the pebble you will be ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wjvP-raOI

• onyichi
    Offline / Send Message
    onyichi polycounter lvl 7
    Spag_Eddy said:
    What software are you focusing on? If you have a PC with WIndows on it, you can download "Visual Studio Dev Essentials", which includes 3 months of Digital Tutors for free. Digital Tutors was great for helping me learn and understand the basics/fundamentals of texturing/modeling/everything else.
    I got Maya and mudbox for PC.  I don't think they do the digital tutors anymore :(
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Digital Tutors got bought by Pluralsight,t hat's why.

You can texture with Mudbox, but a lot of the professional developers here are on Substance Painter/Designer and maybe Quixel.  You should REALLY look into those for your texturing needs.

Mari is out there too, and has a noncommercial license.  THat's a VFX standard.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    onyichi said:
    Spag_Eddy said:
    I got Maya and mudbox for PC.  I don't think they do the digital tutors anymore :(
    Crap, I meant Pluralsight, not Digital Tutors. I blame the lack of coffee in the system at the time of posting. lols. Pluralsight has great courses for Maya (I wouldn't advise using Maya as a primary texturing program, but it's still good to know how to do it for basic stuff), as well as Substance Painter, which if you haven't already, I'd strongly recommend getting started on. Allegorithmic also has a lot of great learning material on Youtube for Substance Painter beginners. 

If you do the "Visual Studios Dev Essentials" thingy to get a Pluralsight membership, you can learn more than enough in the free three months you get from it.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    As someone who comes from pluralsight background, I would say dont spend oney on that for texturing essons, they only have 1 course for texturing there, which is not good enough. I would suggest you go to alegorithmic 's youtube channel and learn from there, about substance designer which is already an industry standard. Also, I would advise you to look for material creation videos on youtube and just copy their nodes. After sometime you will have an understanding on how this whole process works and you could be able to build some non dialectric/ dialectric materials, and build off from there
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    some badass AAA guys put out some video tutorials, 2 big names in the texturing niche.

https://gumroad.com/purepolygons   - jacob norris
    https://gumroad.com/artofjoshlynch  - josh lynch
  • honglong99
    Offline / Send Message
    honglong99 polycounter lvl 5
    I can suggest many way to learn Texture:
    + Try to learn Hand Painting / Digital Painting. All of them are in Youtube. You need to learn basic paint. It's good and don't ignore it. Can you blend shadow ??? Can you paint smooth Skin ?? No ??? Learn it!!!!
    +  Realistic is a favourite part but basic paint is an importance.
    + Learn breakdown in a texture. Ex: Bare metal is bottom, Painted metal is above then Dirty, Rust , etc.
    + Learn PBR technique.