Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highlands Environment [UE4]

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
PBrain polycounter lvl 2
Hello!

Here's an environment I've been working on lately. Had a lot of fun making a landscape material for this scene! Trying to emulate Eoin O'Broin's infamous landscape mat. Getting closer!!!

I'd love some feedback on this if anyone's got any!

Replies

• FancyMug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FancyMug polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, 
    I think the scene has a nice feel. The foliage and rocks are looking good. The fog needs a little bit of attention. In the second image there is a very clear line when the fog starts. Hope this helps a little bit. Keep it up  :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the assets themselves look good and the first shot is nice but it seems like the 2nd and 3rd image is odd in terms of lighting and colour grading. the contrast seems too harsh - the blacks too prominent and the sky washed out, the sky doesnt seem to be casting any ambient light in the last shot yet it looks so bright and the light direction seems so low like a sunset, it just seems a bit odd.

To get that painting style look I think you should set up your shot of your terrain to have more obvious layers of foreground, midground and background.
  • PBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PBrain polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks @FancyMug! Means a lot! I agree with you on that. I'll work on making it a little more smooth of a transition.

And thank you @Ged! Yeah, maybe the exposure is a little extreme on the other pics. I tried to give a little bit of a layered look in each, but I think I could accentuate it a little more! Thanks for the feedback!! Much appreciated! 
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    All the reference I looked at quick for highlands, and I would say you are pretty far from a believable level of realism atm.

I'd consider maybe doing:
    - variation in scale/grass heights/colour
    - areas of sparseness, exposing some underlying ground, blending or tapering around rocks just to break up the repeated grass
    - much more variation in plants
    - I'd remove the sandstone assets, that type of rock doesnt exist in this area, and the colour of that stone is conflicting.
    - the terrain/vista could use some scale/shape variation, or better lines to help compose the image. 
    - the fog/atmosphere is not helping separate the elements. It makes it very tough to judge scale/distance. Keep the contrast closer as elements further back will fade