Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Stylized Abandoned Library Critique

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tythomas063 greentooth
Hello, everyone. Here are my screenshots of my personal project. All of the assets in my library scene are my own creations that were modeled in Maya and Zbrush. The textures were made in the substance painter but the stylized book with the green light was handpainted in Zbrush. The scene was created in the Unity engine.  I still have a long way to go and I will love to know what I need to work on more to improve. I'm still exploring which style(stylized, semi-realistic, or realistic) I enjoy the most for making 3d environment.  Any feedback or critique will be greatly appreciated.  :)

Replies

• Droswing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Droswing polycounter lvl 6
    cool stuff but a little bit to angular for me and texture have the same value try to make a different value for your wood asset :smile:
  • tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @Droswing What props look little angular to you? So each wood textures should have little different tints of color or ? I just want to be clear what you mean by those. So I can keep that in my mind and understand how to improve my textures since I'm still learning how to make a texture lol   :)  thank you for your critique which I appreciate it a lot! :) 
  • BrianShray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
    You may have to look into your UV texel density or texture resolution for the overall scene. The most striking example would be the wooden flooring that has more values but also stretched texture resolution as opposed to most of the props in the scene, where the texture seems splotcky. Try to keep the overall texel density consistent. You can find some great plug-ins for Maya that help with this.

Regarding the previous comment. By 'angular' i suppose he meant the lack of bevels on all/most of your props. Introducing some bevels in your models, such as the large shelves and racks can help catch the light on the edges of your models, giving them a less sharp edged feel.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the lighting looks strange too and the floor looks like its reflective? its like the floor is being lit by a blue sky and not indoor lighting, the shapes could be more quirky and angled rather than perfectly straight lines as that will help sell the stylised idea too.
  • Droswing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Droswing polycounter lvl 6
    for me value is better than tints for me to have a better texture you have to had value variation on all your's textures set. like yours floor, he is very cool :)
    and don't be afraid to try all what you want ;)
  • tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    @brianshray  I never used the UV texel density before. I looked up just now and basically, it keeps the texture same scale on all UV shells or something like that? Ah yes, my professor just mentioned that today. I guess I was too focused on making the texture than modeling lol. Thank you :) 

@Ged I just figure it out the cause of the floor being too reflective of blue light. The floor material has smoothness on which somehow it makes a weird blueish reflective.   Ah, I understand now. I really should study more in the style of stylized props. Thank you very much :)

@Droswing Oh i see! I just started noticing that when you pointed it out to the value. Thank you very much for pointing it out which I didn't notice before. I was wondering about that since my scene looks little off and not very stylized haha.