Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samwell Tarly - realtime bust

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ABorre12 polycounter lvl 7
Hi all!

Been working on this guy in my free time for the last few months. It's been a great learning experience for me and I think a significant improvement on my previous work. Still room for improvement but I think I'm calling it done!

Software used:
ZBrush
Maya (xGen + Arnold render for hair)
Marvelous Designer
Substance Painter
Photoshop
Marmoset Toolbag 3

Replies

• fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Getting some uncanny valley vibe going on there. Especially since I am familiar with his face. 
    It looks like when you worked on the sculpt the FOV was off. Did you primarily work in ortho mode in Zbrush?

Eyeballs look too small, like it has small marbles for eyes..
    Mouth should be slightly larger as well i believe. Try an SSS shader on the teeth as well, with some yellow subsurface colour. They should look slightly milky. 

Not trying to be a dick, but have you tried overlaying a reference image ontop of your model?

I realize you are calling it done, but might be worth to revisit it and do some quick changes.
  • ABorre12
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey fatihG_,

Yeah I think I missed the mark on the likeness, it gets hard for me to see it after a while..
    I may revisit in a bit after my eyes have had some time off looking at it.

I think my biggest mistake is not starting a thread from the beginning so I can get helpful critiques like these from the start :).

I appreciate the notes and the reply!
  • wormo
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    Lots of good work here! However, I have to agree that the eyes seem a bit too off. The teeth seem a little too shiny or something, as well. I would ditch the rotating lights gif as that one only adds to the strange feel of the render. Overall you've done a really good job and just need to touch up a couple spots.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think maybe the camera focal length is a big problem here.

Also, the subsurface scattering is waaay too strong, he's got some serious jelly skin going on.
  • ABorre12
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm gonna return this one to WIP status :) i really want to get better at this, especially in the rendering phase. Thanks guys almighty_gir and Wormo. 

Expect some updates in the near future..