Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio advice and Feedback

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GluFlu null
So I'm in my final year at Uni, and am working on my 3D Modelling Final Project, but I'm also working on my portfolio for after I graduate. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what I have so far, and any advice on where to focus next. Link is provided down below.
Portfolio:  https://george3dgamedesign.artstation.com

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    Hi GluFlu

A couple of things....

First of all MODELER not Modeller, thats a big one.  If you want to focus on modeling, then clay renders are fine.  If you are going to go through the trouble of texturing and lighting, then really take the time to make it shine.  I think that your lighting is what needs to most work right now.  I would take the time to learn some basic 3 point lighting techniques.  I cant sit there and analyze you're models because all i can think of is how bad the lighting is.  Remove the substance tutorial, its great that you did it, but doing a tutorial and putting it up on your site, regardless of how good, isn't going to set you apart.  and then theres this... QUALITY OVER QUANTITY... always. 2 great pieces are way better than 10 mediocre pieces, because your portfolio will always be judged on the weakest piece.  Right now IMO your barn scene is the strongest, I would delete everything else and really work on that.  Perhaps find a studio that you like and emulate their style.  I think your city is second in terms of quality, but it really needs help on the lighting.  Don't get discouraged, we all start somewhere, keep at it.  You'll only get better with time
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there 

Your things looks solid ,but for a portfolio piece you need something more complex and interesting , good example is  your metal thing (PBR Gun Render) . So find something that is interesting to you and model it while keep same details and quality as that small piece (side note : this doesn't mean to do more guns , I am strongly against it !)
    I will suggest to change white background to something darker then your objects so contrast is in favor of what you model not background more specifically (1st and 3rd images in your portfolio)
    Sewer tiles look good but you better show some small level build with them or some use 
    Also you have to add some wire frames to your model 
    I have this portfolio requirements somewhere from internet and is probably the best one I have seen so far , at least will give you some general ideas( its geared to what I do which is character art but change character to what ever you do same principle apply)  :

"Portfolio Requirements

A web portfolio that includes numerous samples of high quality 3D and 2D art
    Examples of modeled, textured and rigged characters and creatures, rendered in a game engine
    A sample range including hard surface and organic models
    Life drawing samples, anatomical studies
    Breakdown list with details such as polygon count and texture sizes
    Images that demonstrate solid craftsmanship
    Portfolio Pluses

Character development breakdown, reference, base, detail, topology, UV
    Character Art Concept Samples
    Real-time Shader Examples
    matching someelse concept to 3d mdoel

Excellent Portfolio showing all phases of game asset production High Poly, Game resolution, UVs/Bakes and Materials
    breakdown of a model creation "
  • GluFlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GluFlu null
    Cheers for the advice. I'm not discouraged at all, every piece of feedback pushes me to get better and thanks for taking the time to check it out.