Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio advice and Feedback

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GluFlu null
So I'm in my final year at Uni, and am working on my 3D Modelling Final Project, but I'm also working on my portfolio for after I graduate. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what I have so far, and any advice on where to focus next. Link is provided down below.
Portfolio:  https://george3dgamedesign.artstation.com

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    You might want to post pictures and not just a link if you want feedback.
    Most people on here don't have the time to click on links. 
    You might also specify if you're doing environment art or characters or props or...... :) 

You also have a higher chance to get answers if you write the questions you want answering instead of asking for advice on where to go next. You are the only one who knows where you want to go with your art. So tell us where you want to go, and people might be able to tell you how to get there :)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    1. Spelling mistake in your job title. 3D Modeler.
    2. Tree asset is not well made. There are leaves floating in space instead of being attached to any branches. The leaves themselves also appear to be just one leaf repeated over and over. There needs to be variances in shape, size and even color.
    3. You need a better Barn reference. Bump map is excessively strong, and the lighting on it feels very diffuse. You need to create a material with a roughness that's closer to paint, and for more variation, create the underlying wood layer underneth.
    4. The ground texture for the Barn scene is just one grass tile repeated over. Look into vertex painting and texture blending to add more ground detail. The terrain itself is also flat. Where are rocks, dirt, plants that show there is life?
    5. Some of your fences are missing poles. 
    6. There's no background detail. I.e mountains, cityscape, water etc. It just ends at the horizon.

As for your focus, you need to start on one asset and make it a good one. If you're going into games, you need to show you can model both a hi-poly and low poly assets complete with all the PBR maps done to closer accuracy. When you've gotten good with one asset, you can move onto a more a complex prop like a car engine. 

Take a look at other portoflios in AAA as well. When I was in school, that wasn't focused on which hurt me in the months that came after. This thread has a certified amount of artists who did get a job with their portfolio. You need to match or surpass the quality that they posted.

http://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio
  • wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    do more! looks like both scenes essentially share the same assets. more, more, more! that's what's going to help you improve and diversify your portfolio.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Post the art station links of the three ppl who you consider to be the best in your class year please.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is very important to keep in mind and is pretty much true for any discipline in the professional industry.  YOUR WORK MUST BE AAA QUALITY.  I know that's kinda vague but this is what I mean.  Pick someone you think is a rockstar in the gaming industry doing what you want to get a job as.  Now make something that is of equal quality to what they have in their folio.  That is the bar you need to hit.  You don't need as much stuff as a Sr level artist but your quality better be close.  Here are some comparable examples to what you have in your folio of the quality you want to hit:

tree:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zY2E6

barn:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1YJG2

Now I sorta picked these randomly so they might not be the style you want but quality is what I'm getting at.  Pick something you want to make and try to get as close to AAA quality as you possibly can.  Do some nice breakdown shots, wires, textures, and post with nice presentation.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @JordanN I'd just like to point out that modeller would also be correct! It can be spelled modeler or modeller, but the prior is more frequently used.
  • Jsummers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jsummers node
    @JordanN depends where you live,
    modelling = English 
    Modeling = American English.
    Hope this clarifies things