Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

[COMPLETE] Purification of loneliness

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JJuice vertex
Lucian - a real monster hunter. He did this job with his wife and continues to do it alone. But does loneliness help in purifying the world of evil or becomes the main enemy? My story tells about this.
Hope you enjoy my story

Replies

• JJuice
    Offline / Send Message
    JJuice vertex
    The first draft. Since the story was conceived longer,  I did not invest in a limit of 1000 words. Plus, English is not my native language, therefore, there may be mistakes in the text. I will modify it, but I would be glad to hear your feedback

Lucian didn't like this place. In Bilgewater, the filth of the human nature took on a physical appearance that was sticking to the body. It attracts the supernatural evil, headed by a monster who took away from his kindness and mercy. To distract himself, he undertook various orders, which they threw in different places on the outskirts of the city. Despite the stench of such areas, here Lucian breathed better.

This time, purifier was hunting for a bloodthirsty creature in the ruins of a shipyard. The monster tore apart the young guy on the eve of his wedding. The heartbroken bride was ready to give all the money put aside for the wedding for revenge, but Lucian agreed to destroy the creature for free. Was this a manifestation of sympathy? Or the desire to protect the girl from scammers? Perhaps the reason lies in a similar story? These thoughts he drowned out shots from guns at the shadow that flashed among the wreckage.

- Go ahead, scare me.

Purifier understood that his opponent isn't physically strong, and if he manages to lure it into battle face-to-face, the victory will follow him, but the monster continued to play hide and seek, exhausting him with attacks from the darkness.

-Scare you? I want to have fun. - For the first time in the battle, a familiar female voice sounded from the night. - After all, you deserve better

"It cannot be - Lucian began to lose control - this voice ..."

The boards creaked and a human silhouette formed in the dark, stepping toward the purifier. Lucian pointed his guns at the stranger. Pull the trigger, and it's all over, but why he can't do it? Why does this smile warm him? Why in front of him standing...

- Senna ... - Purifier dropped the guns.

- Come on, - she stretched out her arms to Lucian, and he went into her embrace. - Touch me.

Lucian silently pressed against the girl.

- Like this. Now you will not leave until I'm satisfied. - With these words, the girl threw into the purifiers face pink dust, and he fainted.

Lucian regained consciousness in the darkness. A sense of pain shackled the body. Far away, he heard him screaming in agony, although he was silent.

"What is this place?" - began to look around Lucian. "How did I get here?"

The face and knuckles of the hands began to ache more expressively. The darkness around Purifier took the outline of the tavern where he volunteered to kill the monster. He was sitting in a company of two unconsciousness bodies: one on the table in front of him and other under it.

- You fought well. - Near sounded a girlish voice.  - They will not be delighted when wake up.

He decided to examine the interlocutor, but the pain that he feels in the darkness returned, and the girl's face get blurred.

- Monster would tear them to pieces. They should thank me for deciding to kill him instead of them.

- They wouldn't hunt a monster. Just took the money and left.

- So I taught them good manners.

- And they paid you. - the girl touched Lucian's abrasion. The pain from the wound became stronger than before.

- There were two of them...

- Sometimes it's nice to have someone who will cover your back. - the girl interrupted, and the pain in his body became burning.

- I don't like to cover someone's back. - said that, Lucian got up from the table.

- I've been following this creature for a long time. - She grabbed his arm. - You can't beat her alone.

Lucian turned around and, through the pain, examined the girl. Long hair gathered into a braid, blood-red glasses, a tight suit and a folding crossbow on the arm.

- You work alone since your wife's death, but now we should unite. - girl's words were accompanied by the clanking of chains and growing pain. - My name is…

- I know who you are. -  Lucian snapped, and the whole tavern went silent - Huntress for monsters and a killer, but let my heart be pierced by the claw of the beast, then the arrow of the so-called ally, Shauna Vayne.

Lucian walked briskly to the exit, trying to get away from the unbearable pain, but when he flung open the door, a terrible heat struck his face, and he was again in the middle of the darkness. It was difficult to breathe and move. He was hung up, wrapped in a cocoon of chains, but now most of all he was frightened not by helplessness, but by what he saw before him.

- You've been alone since that day. - There was a voice from Senna standing in front of him. - You're trying to protect the others from danger.

- You're not Senna. - Lucian closed his eyes in the hope that she would disappear when he opened them, but that didn't happen.

- Always alone against misery, - hooks flew out of the darkness, thrusting themselves into the body of the girl and then dragging her into the night. Lucian saw how hooks tear a ghostly silhouette into pieces, and in its place appeared a creature with horns and a devilish smile. - But misery loves company.

Lucian woke up at the old shipyard. He wanted to reach his guns lying on the floor, but he couldn't move. The chains from the vision were real, as was the pain due to the black and pink thorns piercing him. There was a laugh. Purifier raised his head with last strength and saw the woman. Her skin was purple, and the refined figure was lightly covered by shadows that seemed to disappear. Behind stretched two appendages with sharp pink ends. She began to walk toward him slowly, and with each step the thorns throbbed, causing Lucian more and more pain. He felt he was going to faint and his head sank. Seeing this demoness turned into a shadow and quickly jumped to him, picking up his head with a sharp appendage.

- No, no! Do not die yet! - Her pupils glowed, and her white hair was raised upwards, issuing a pink gleam. - I've played enough with you, but it will be a shame if you don't die by my hands.

- How do you know about Senna - through the pain said, Lucian.

- I've heard about you, her and the chain warden, - the eyes of the demoness caught fire more strongly, - but we are not personally acquainted. All these illusions - are the effect of my magic spikes created to break the flesh and the mind.

- Who are you?

- My name will be the last thing you'll hear. - Demoness removed the appendage from Lucian's head, then turned around, wrapping her body in the darkness. Horns grew on the head, eyes glowed red, and appendages curved on either side of the purifier. She continued to speak in an otherworldly voice, - My name is Evelyn.

Lashers quickly began to link up. Lucian accepted the fact that he would die when suddenly he heard the ringing of the broken chains, and he fell to the floor. Opening his eyes, he saw the demoness leap into the darkness, and in front of him appeared someone in a red cloak, with a long black braid and a massive crossbow.

- That's right, run! - Vayne shouted, - The shadows are to be feared.

Putting the crossbow behind her, she walked over towards Lucian. Relieving him of the chains, Vayne helped him to sit down and held out a bottle of a potion.

- Have a drink, this will help you. - Lucian took a sip and choked with bitterness. - Corrupting potion, although unpleasant to the taste, but quickly puts you on your feet.

Purifier continued to drink, and the wounds from the spines instantly mended, and he felt a surge of energy. After finishing the potion, he immediately got up and silently walked away.

- You give lessons of good manners, but don't use them yourself?

- This time I taught the lesson.

- And which one?

Lucian raised his guns.

- Misery loves company. - He waved to the girl, as he went into the darkness in which Evelyn disappeared. Vayne grinned and followed him.

• JJuice
  • JJuice
    Offline / Send Message
    JJuice vertex
    So this is it + bonus in the end.
     Hope you enjoy this story! ^^

Filth and stink of the human nature attract monsters like the one he hunts in the ruins of the old shipyard. But after killing another dark creature Lucian breathed better.

Bloodthirsty beast tore apart the young guy on the eve of his wedding. The heartbroken bride was ready to give all her money for revenge, but Lucian agreed to do it for free. Was this a desire to protect the girl from scammers or from the pain he knew well? Such a thought purifier preferred to drown out shots.

“Go ahead, scare me.”

Lucian understood that his opponent was physically weak, and in the battle face-to-face, he easily won, but the monster continued to play hide and seek, exhausting him with attacks from the darkness.

“Scare? I want to have fun with you,” for the first time in the battle, Lucian heard a familiar female voice.  “After all, you can do better.”

A human silhouette formed in the dark, stepping toward the purifier. Lucian pointed his pistols at the stranger.

“Pull the trigger and this will be over!” he tough. “But why doesn't this smile allow me to do this? Why in front of me standing… Senna.”

“Come on,” she stretched out her arms to Lucian, and he went into her embrace, “touch me.”

Pistols fell. Lucian silently pressed against the girl.

“Finally! A man who can satisfy me,” with these words, something pink was struck in Lucian's face.

Purifier regained consciousness in the darkness. A sense of pain shackled the body. Far away, he heard him screaming in agony, although he was silent.

“What is this place?” Lucian looked around, “How did I get here?”

After this though, the darkness around start took the outline of the tavern where purifier volunteered to kill the monster. He was sitting in a company of two unconsciousness bodies: one on the table in front of him and other under it.

“You fought well,” near sounded a girlish voice. “They'll be pissed off when waking up.”

He decided to examine the interlocutor, but the pain that he feels in the darkness returned, and the girl's face get blurred.

“Monster would tear them apart. They should thank me for saving their lives.”

“They wouldn't hunt a monster. Just took the money and left.”

“So I taught them good manners.”

“And they paid you,” the girl touched Lucian's abrasion.

“There were two of them...”

“Sometimes it's nice to have someone who will cover your back,” the girl interrupted him, and the pain in his body became burning.

“I'm better on my own,” Lucian got up from the table.

“I've been following this creature for a long time,” she grabbed his arm, “you can't beat her.”

Lucian turned around and, through the pain, examined the girl. Long hair gathered into a braid, blood-red glasses and a folding crossbow on the arm.

“You work alone since your wife's death, but now we should unite,” girl’s words were accompanied by the clanking of chains and growing pain. “My name is…”

“I know who you are,” Lucian snapped, and the whole tavern went silent. “Monster hunter and a killer. I would rather let my heart be pierced by the claw of the beast, then the arrow of the so-called ally, Shauna Vayne.”

Lucian walked to the exit, trying to get away from the unbearable pain. When he flung open the door, a heat struck his face, and he woke up at the old shipyard. His weapon lying on the floor, but he couldn't move. He was hung up, wrapped in chains and before his eyes was a frightening picture.

“You're a loner since that day,” said Senna, suspended in front of them on chains and hooks. “Trying to protect the others from danger.”

“You're…not Senna.”

“Always alone against misery,” chain clanged dragging the girl into the darkness. Lucian saw how the hooks tore to pieces her silhouette, and in its place appears a creature with a devilish smile, “But misery loves company.”

Quietly laughing, the creature came out of the shadows. Her skin was purple, and the body was lightly covered by shadows. There were two lashers with the sharp pink edges behind. She walks toward him slowly, and with every step out of the shadow pink spikes appeared, causing Lucian pain. Seeing how Lucian loses consciousness, demoness turned into a shadow and quickly jumped to him, picking up his head with the lasher.

“No, no! Don’t die yet!” her pupils glowed, “It will be a shame if you don't die by my hands.”

“How do you know about Senna?” Lucian asked quietly.

“I've heard about you, her and the chain warden,” the eyes of the demoness caught fire more, “so I created these illusions with my lust dust to break the mind and the flesh.”

Demoness turned around, wrapping her body in the darkness and curved lashers on either side of the purifier.

“But before your death, I want you to think only about me, about Evelynn.”

Deadly lashers quickly began to contact. Lucian prepared to meet with the Veiled Lady, but suddenly felt how chains break and he fell to the floor.

Opening his eyes, he saw the demoness leap into the darkness, and in front of him appeared someone in a red cloak, with a massive crossbow.

“That's right, run! The shadows are to be feared,” said girl, putting the crossbow behind her, and walked over towards Lucian. Relieving him of the chains, Vayne helped him to sit down and held out a bottle, “Drink it.”

Lucian took a sip and choked with bitterness.

“Corrupting potion, although unpleasant to the taste, but quickly puts you on your feet.”

Having finished drinking, purifier immediately got up and silently walked away.

“You give lessons of good manners, but don't follow them?” she asked.

“This time I have learned the lesson.”

“And which one?”

Lucian raised his pistols.

“Misery loves company,” he waved to the girl, as he went into the darkness in which Evelynn disappeared. Vayne grinned and followed him.