Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Necromancer's Tome

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
soldierguy97 polycounter lvl 7
New portfolio piece I just uploaded on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GnJqW

Here's a sneak peak! But more shots at the link. Click it!

Replies

• wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool! I love the texturing on the book - nicely done, it's very convincing. I also like the torn cloth edges... looks cool. I think the candle wax could blend a bit better into the desk, but is this an in-engine render?
  • soldierguy97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo said:
    Very cool! I love the texturing on the book - nicely done, it's very convincing. I also like the torn cloth edges... looks cool. I think the candle wax could blend a bit better into the desk, but is this an in-engine render?
    Thanks! Yea I can see the wax buildup around the candles being a bit too little. And this is rendered in Marmoset, but may want to see how it  can look in Unreal. More breakdowns of stuff at the arstation link!  (** Ah I see you've checked it, thanks!!)
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I dig the presentation on this piece. You've got some good modeling, texturing, and lighting on this piece. The one thing that's really off though is wax wouldn't work it's way up the tablet like that. At most it would build up higher at the base and then work it's way around the candle to go down. The cloth is also not hanging about the edges realistically. You should probably do some kind of cloth sim for that.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    i love the lighting! great work!
  • soldierguy97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. said:
    I dig the presentation on this piece. You've got some good modeling, texturing, and lighting on this piece. The one thing that's really off though is wax wouldn't work it's way up the tablet like that. At most it would build up higher at the base and then work it's way around the candle to go down. The cloth is also not hanging about the edges realistically. You should probably do some kind of cloth sim for that.
    Thanks! Funnily enough, I did cloth sim for it and was surprised at the results as well even trying it multiple times with different settings. Maybe different software woulda helped. I see what you mean with the candle wax. In my head I just assume it built up around the base enough that it made its own way but yep its not so clear with how thin the base is. But a lil unrealism for the sake of producing a cool looking fantasy scene never hurt nobody ;p
  • soldierguy97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the lighting! great work!
    Thanks!