Fantasy Cottage

triangle
Offline / Send Message
harveywest triangle
Here's something I had modeled sitting unused on my hard drive for a long time. I finished it up not too long ago. I ended up loving the bushes the most lol

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Do you think you're gonna spend some mroe time texturing this?  This definitely has room to look more popped out and dope.
  • harveywest
    Offline / Send Message
    harveywest triangle
    Honestly, I probably won't be coming back to this one.  Once I got my first job, I started modeling like crazy just to become a better modeler. Then I realized I was one of those "I'll come back to it later" artists with a folder full of half-done work. So I started making weekly challenges to make sure I finished everything I started and pump out work.

What would you like to see changed on this?
  • Zedblade
    Offline / Send Message
    Zedblade polycounter lvl 6
    the bushes and grass looks great, the cottage though is so poorly textured and low res it really clashes with the photo realistic bushes and grass. if you don't plan coming back to it then why even post it?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    I think Harvey's just sharing his old work for PC to look at.  In the 3D Showcase and Critique forum.
  • harveywest
    Offline / Send Message
    harveywest triangle
    I've never really shared my work with anyone or asked for critiques in a community like this, so I'm uploading things I've done here to get some advice/critiques to apply to anything I do later. I thought this was the right forum for that. Sorry if it felt like I wasted anyone's time.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    You're in the right place, don't worry.  Even I forget sometimes this place is to peacock.

• shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 8
    I'd find reference, and figure out what era/architectural style you are trying to achieve. 
    - figure out a colour palette that works
    - The wood frames around the windows UVs/texturing is rough, not realistic, and not architecturally sound. Same goes for the door., which I'm not entirely sure I understand what its composed of.
    - The chimney has no shape variation, and is a straight up cube, the moss makes little sense considering there is no water damage on the roof at all
    - there is no water or age or weather in the textures for the house
    - the roof tileable is super obviously and you didnt attempt to hide it at all
    - the 'splintered boards' at the ends are the same wood tile, no  exposed dried inner wood splinters, no reason for them to broken story wise
    - the hedges are weird, and all circular clumps, I'm surprised a 'cottage' like this would have such perfectly manicured bushes. I'd expect them to be growing in different shapes and variations
    - the hedge colours are all the same, doesnt look natural
    - there is no light penetrating the hedges, and no open/bare variations in them which is unnatural
    - the grass is 100% flawless. again conflicting storys /w the aged run down chimney, and stone foundation showing heavy moisture and wear, and everything else is perfect
    - the stone walkway seems less than ideal. If i pay that much to have my hedges trimmed and my grass cut, you can bet your ass i'm gonna pay some dude to reno my walkway instead of walking on mossy undulated rocks. 
    - the wood beems that 'almost' meet at the corners... zero structural integrity - are they just decorative boards?
    - what is the material above the door on the tapered 8 unit roof? no clue
    - no roughness variation except for the grass/hedge
    - zero blends.
    - the tiny rose window above the side window ...
  • harveywest
    Offline / Send Message
    harveywest triangle
    Thanks a lot shabba. This isn't the type of stuff I normally work on, so your suggestions are incredibly helpful. That bit about the stone walkway was pretty damn funny too lol