Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio advice & Next steps

DiscST
null
Offline / Send Message
DiscST null
Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on how my current portfolio looks and where to go next. 

dangibbons.co.uk     (arranged chronologically)

I guess i'll start with a short background. I finished uni degree in Games Modelling, Animation and Effects in 2015 and currently don't work within the industry although I have taken very few small pieces of freelance work. I stopped this a while ago as I had a complete crisis of faith in my abilities as a game artist, took myself back to square 1, refreshed every single thing I knew.

So, where do I want to be? I really see myself as an environment/prop artist.

Alright, so what have I been doing to get myself there? Like i said, I spent a lot of time refreshing myself, looking at various ways to do different things, making sure all technical knowledge is up to date etc and crawling through forums like this seeing what direction people in my position are heading. In my more recent work, I found the best similar thing and tried to make mine better. Don't know if I have achieved that but I'm pretty happy so far. I've made a load of test scenes to try out different workflows,techniques and quite literally 'how to make environments'. Mostly I have stuck to props for now but I'm gonna make some environments. I need to put theory into practice now.

Now, my portfolio. I've already received some really good feedback from other places. Like...
-I need to work on my lighting, especially noticeable in the Frozen New York project
-My texel density can be off, normal and bump maps too strong (again the New York project)
-Work on composition and presentation
-Make some substance materials and use them to create an awesome environment, also include some showcase materials.

I met a lead artist at EGX this year who plain outright told me "its s**t. I only want the top 10% of people and you're not there. yet." - weirdly enough this genuinely inspired me

If anyone can offer any more feedback and where they recommend I steer my future work, I would be so grateful! Thanks guys.

Replies

• Yura_Vorobiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yura_Vorobiev interpolator
    Hi. I think that you have good portfolio for beginner, you only need a lot of practise. I would suggest to choose interesting prop concept and do you best to make it cool in 3d. Also about lighting you scenes you can watch unreal 4 lighting academy on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/51Daedalus/playlists  it's amazing tutorial.

Good luck!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Regarding your handpainteed textures, the big technique issue I am seeing that I wa guilty of way back was the following:

You're lightening and darkening your local hue without adjustinf for hue temperature as well.  That is to say, it just looks like you're adding black or white to a color to lighten or darken in.  

You also need to add a color.

That's why a lot of your Wow textures feel dead and lack a sense of "body."

A rule of loose thumb, when going darker, it goes cooler (more blue).  Lighter is hotter (more yellow/orange/red).

This will hopefully incredibly improve the feel of your WoW textures overall.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure if its an intentional style, but all your props feel boxy. If you compare them to the reference you used, can you honestly say they stack up?