Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Newbie first upload - sword

Sareth93
null
Offline / Send Message
Sareth93 null
Hi,

so I'm new to 3D world and I thought why not just put in some pieces of work and ask for advice.

This is a sword I created yesterday using Maya. It's one of the first meshes I created myself so bare with me :D Before I have mostly just done tutorials and tried to follow them.

Unsmoothed:

Smoothed in viewport:

Subdivided wireframe from smooth in render:

Smoothed & Rendered with basic colors:

I have created the sword from a box, the handle (brown) from a cylinder, the knob from a sphere and the golden part of the handle I created with a bevel plus, then reconnecting verts to create quads on the planar part.

No texturing or UVing done yet.

I hope from these pictures you can see my areas of problems and give me some feedback. Also, the polycount of the unsmoothed mesh is 6016 Tris, when I smooth it it's like 96.000 Tris so guess this is way too much if this was to be imported into a game for example, tips on how to improve are welcome.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    96,000 tris is a bit much, but you can make a low poly version of the sword that's lower.

Looking solid.  Just make the low poly, UV that out, and bake the textures to get started on texturing.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    off to a good start, next time when showing it perhaps try some basic lighting, it will really help your images pop more
  • HellishBaroness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellishBaroness polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work so far. As a beginner as well I recommend working from reference. Not necessarily following tutorials, but having something to go off of helps a lot. Once you've worked on your technical skills, you can have lots of fun with design! :smile:
  • Sareth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sareth93 null
    96,000 tris is a bit much, but you can make a low poly version of the sword that's lower.

Looking solid.  Just make the low poly, UV that out, and bake the textures to get started on texturing.
    Thank you :) What polycount should I aim for if I wanted to import a mesh like this into a game engine? 
    Should I get thinks like the red part of the knot and the Detail in the blade completely in textures? And how can I lower the polycount of the golden part oft the handle (sry dont know the word AS english is not my native lang) without losing the Form since it is Quite a complex shape that cant be put into a normal map?

@OptimuOptimus said:

welcome to 3D :) could use some work. but if i were you, i wouldn't upload one of your first projects, because then you would get professional critique with a lot of stuff you don't know, it will all seem like giberish and you would probably melt down and get a huge headache. just some advice, but if you want critique, then here is mine:

the bottom of the sword (gold part) looks spherical, and the handle looks a little off. make it a bit more flat.
    I thought it would help me getting rid oft my biggest errors that I wouldnt even See otherwise and maybe getting to know better techniques to achieve certain stuff. But maybe youre right if i post everything i do Here now it would geht too mich. I know I have a long way in Front of me especially if im reading through the threads Here and looking at the work of all of you here. 

I just want to be able to learn as fast as possible and avoid doing things wrong repeadetly because I dont know better.

Thanks for your advice!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just use enough triangles to make it look good at the angle and zoom you intend game players to view the asset at.

Here's an explanation of the anatomy of a sword:
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS570US570&q=anatomy+of+sword&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjroJC8k-fXAhVIxVQKHc9UB2oQvwUIJSgA&biw=1230&bih=821
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Optimus said:

but if i were you, i wouldn't upload one of your first projects, because then you would get professional critique with a lot of stuff you don't know, it will all seem like giberish and you would probably melt down and get a huge headache.
    What would you suggest for someone that is new(ish) to 3D then? Just keep following tutorials?