Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trim Sheet Assets

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
chrisevansart polycounter lvl 9

Hey guys. 
I wanted to show off some things I've been working on. All these assets were made utilizing the same trim sheet. I wanted to show that you can push assets without having to bake highpoly info. With this workflow you can make a ton of assets.

I have been thinking about making a tutorial for this type of workflow. Please let me know if anyone is interested!

SO to Jonas Ronnegard for those super sweet alphas. https://www.artstation.com/jronn

Also, here is a link to the ArtStation post : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P0P1r

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    YES! This is super awesome and actually practical! I all too often see nothing but high poly sculpts and baked out sheets and in actual practical production cases this is how most assets are made. Bravo! Seeing your process and approach would be welcomed for sure!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your bottom link didn't work for me..... 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea most assets in open world games (or any game really) are made with trims and tiles, unique unwraps are only for mission specific hero assets or something super complex usually. This method is a lot faster and extremely efficient. 
  • chrisevansart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisevansart polycounter lvl 9
    @pixelpatron @PixelMasher
    Thanks guys. Yeah, its weird going thru the industry and you tend to see that some places dont utilize this method. I also dont see this method used as much in peoples workflow. I want to get more exposure of using trims for props like these.
    BTW I fixed the link, but if it doesnt work, i pasted it here too.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P0P1r
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice work! I often don't find the opportunity to make stuff this way because I make mobile games where we dont have any post processing and realtime lighting isnt great, so unless we bake some lighting or ao into textures stuff sometimes looks rather flat  Perhaps this technique could be used in mobile games but would require a really good 2nd uv set that can be used by baked lighting in engine.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Super awesome.! Yes please, make a tutorial for trimsheet because I cannot make it work in my workflow at the moment. Too many unanswered questions actually. Did you create a high poly over a flat plane and baked the information? Did you bake a height map? Did you model the ornaments or did you just find some vector pictures online?
    What is the process people use for trim sheets? xD
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Ged said:
    really nice work! I often don't find the opportunity to make stuff this way because I make mobile games where we dont have any post processing and realtime lighting isnt great, so unless we bake some lighting or ao into textures stuff sometimes looks rather flat  Perhaps this technique could be used in mobile games but would require a really good 2nd uv set that can be used by baked lighting in engine.
    You basically just described our workflow. (mobile) Baked lighting isn't in engine but rendered AO from maya.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Im trying to do this now with zero luck. I cannot get the normal map bevels in the trim to line up properly.