Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Pirate Ekko

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
renanfab polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone, wish i had participate the last Riot Contest years ago and i'm really happy that its happening again and now i have the chance to show my skills.

I'm not a LOL player but i am deeply in love with the artstyle, the handpainted textures and so on. Actually i'm more used to do realistic renders/textures but i want to challange myself and do this style that i love so much.  

I choose the character Ekko, have done some brainstorm, wrote down some themes, dig up the common themes in LOL and ended up choosing : Pirate. 

The first impression i didnt know if hes going to be more captain or a low tier type of pirate but since Ekko's lore its a street kid, i thought that would be cool if he a simple pirate bandit, something that ressemble monkey island's main character designs. 

So, here's my refplate. I'm not good in 2D Concepting so my aproach will be creating basemesh and then doing some blockout + photoshop paintovers. Will be back in a few days to show my progress, goodluck every1. 

Replies

• Jappomo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jappomo polycounter lvl 4
    Very interesting idea.. i want see more  B) 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jappomo thanks mate.

So here's my first update. Made a little breakdown of how i started the project and hows looking right now. Although i'm not going for the original hair design, decided to blockout just to have a look of the character and if it was resembling him.

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blockout of the anatomy. Next phase i'm going start blocking some cloth and design ideas for the character.
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spending sometime design the hair and the cloth for the character. What you prefer? What do you think?

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the first blockout in 2D of the whole character, still trying a few variations and gonna post soon. 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, 

- So at this stage i blocked everything to 3D and tested some colors. Afterall i decided going for D hair since i liked the design and i'm already thinking about the topology optimization which i read its 9k - 12k per character, and i still want to do single hair tubes for the loose hair. 

- With that in mind i also excluded the idea of doing the chains in his chest cause that would cost a lot of topology. Any thoughts about that ? 

- Also i'm focusing the assymetry to the area of focus the upper body, i removed the idea of the wooden legs and that would also save more uvs space.

The idea of the treasure chest i'm not sure yet, wanted to create a hourglass inside the treasure chest but will spend sometime on that.

Critique and Feedback always welcome.

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also tested the size of the character to see if would look nice inside the game. 

• chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    nice concepts ^^ if I you allow me to tell you which one I like, I'll say that I like the option A or B, I think it has a good expression related to the pirate and Ekko's character, cause this one with the long hair it can confuse against some female character. But this is just my personal opinion,  you can make anyone that you find it interesting for you ^^. Anyway your sculpt its looking very nice so far :) I'll look forward for more! 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chemotoledo thanks a lot for the feedback. I will test the B type of hair but i had in mind that all Ekko's skins including original have a strong silhouette of the hair so i didn't want to go too basic and cover his hair and make a simple bandana like A afterall. ( Felt like i would be cheating if i went and choose A haha )

And indeed, the rasta hair hold like thats it resembling too much of a female character, will try maybe to work on silhouette of the hair, do some breakups perhaps and maybe turn the backtail of the hair less round and more pointy. 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update. Not quite finished all cloth and assets but on the way, just wanted to post to show the steps. 

Havent tried the B hair yet.
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting the gloves 

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's where i am at right now. Just about to finish the highpoly and going to model the assets : sword and the backpack. Any thoughts about the character? CC Always welcome 

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrapping the final Highpoly, added a few more folds in the pants, finished the sword and the treasure chest. 

Gonna end the year doing retopo and uvs. 

Also, more tests of the character "ingame"

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the retopology. Next stop, opening uvs.
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi once again, here's my update with the Uvs. Also, added a little extra geometry for specific parts of the character. Gonna start the baking now and see how it goes. 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the Baking and started adding the layers and came with a base to work with. Nothing too fancy. AO + Bent Normal Green Channel with 50% multiply. Some tweaks due to baking errors but for the most part i think its good to go.

Any thoughts about this stage? Should add more contrast to some parts or even add an gradient light/dark like the one used in Dota2 ? 

Next stage : Testing colors scheme ( Even even though im using one since highpoly stage but i added just to test how it would look ) 

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm testing the colors now and not quite sure where to go from here. Actually i have few ideas but The reason of the colors i choose is due to original Ekko's color skin. So thats why the red and green.

I'm still not happy with the blockout colors so i might decide one and work more on the colors and from that start painting for real. For now my favourite its "C" but i know it ll need tweaks on pants and leather shirt mainly.

Critique and Sugestions always welcome. 

• henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    I like C too :smiley:

Looking at some of Ekko's original costumes, his saggy pants are part of the important design keys. The stripes would be a good touch.
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Feedback @henrykuh. Actually i decided to work on A color scheme but i'm going to test the pants stripes from C. Received some feedbacks from friends and just realized all colors were too desaturated and greysh.

So in the end decided to explore A and enhance that. Gonna do a breakdown post really soon  
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my work in progress of the texture stage. 

Just noticed on my greyscale that the top part of the character its too bright comparing with ingame greyscale texture. So im gonna tone it down

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breakdown gif of the texturing process 
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update : Fixed the greyscale values 

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'm wrapping this stage for now : 

Fixs : 
    - Painted hair AO with green to match better the color scheme
    - Gave another pass to Gold adding more shadow
    - Painted sword
    - Darked pant straps 
    - Blended the chest with the body adding AO, and painting the belt
    - Worked on chest colors. 

Right now i'm jumping to pose the character to actual game poses and see if some areas in the texture need tweaks.
  • chemotoledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    Nice UV's optimization, I'll look forward to watch your character :) keep going buddy!!
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @chemotoledo glad you liked it.
  • henrykuh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    henrykuh vertex
    Looking better and better :)

I would say tune down the pants and boots more to elevate the attention of the upper body. There is the value difference, but it could be stronger in my opinion.

Keep going!
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @henrykuh
    Thanks mate, i will definitely revise that. Doing some poses now but i will make a final fix/review before wrapping everything
  • renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here it is my final post to this challange. Thank you everyone who helped me and commented giving me feedbacks and helping me to improve in this journey. Loved all the process for creating a skin to fit in LOL but mainly that i made new friends. Goodluck to everyone and can't wait to see more entries being completed.

• Caio.Perez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caio.Perez polycounter lvl 13
    Wow! It's turn out great! Good job!