[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Adam Momsen

Arramil
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Arramil vertex
Hi everyone!

Just creating the thread for now; I'll be picking a rig and getting to work soon.  Super excited to take a crack at this!

Replies

• Arramil
    Offline / Send Message
    Arramil vertex
    So of course as soon as I make a thread, life and work got in my way.  We're a bit late to the party but should have nothing but time to plug away at this from now til the finish.

Introducing the character I'm going to be working with: Kalgarr Ironspeaker.  He's a rig I made for a previous project, but I think he'd fit in well enough in Runeterra!

He's an Orc-flavored caster with an affinity for metal magic.  I imagine in-game that he'd attack with his big club-like wizard's staff, and channel his magic abilities through a special dagger.

He's a little bit fancier dressed than most Orc stereotypes, and a little overweight - a result of days spent poring over magic tomes (and indulging in fine food and wine).  As such I want his run cycle to be a bit heavier, as if he's out-of-shape but has been reluctantly dragged into the conflict.  He's also very fond of his hat, so as some flavor to the movement cycle I'm planning on having him adjust it as he goes.

I'm still debating between a Recall-type animation and an ultimate attack for the character, so I'll be doing the movement cycle first.

Looking forward to (hopefully) posting some WIP shots!
  • Arramil
    Offline / Send Message
    Arramil vertex
    Here we have an initial stab at his run cycle.  Goal is to make him look a bit uncomfortable with the exertion - he'd rather be reading!

Realizing that his hat is obscuring a lot in the 3/4 view... I want it to blow off his head a bit, but might need to reconsider some of this to make sure he isn't just all hat.

Feedback welcome!

• Arramil
    Offline / Send Message
    Arramil vertex
    Took another look at this.  Was feeling like the initial run was feeling very static, and I didn't like how big the arm swing was.  I tried to rework the animation so the run has a little more visual pop and to smooth out some of the rough edges.  Once I'm happy with this I want to add in some variation in the cycle for more flavor.

Let me know what you think!