Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Jon Bernthal/The Punisher Likeness + UE4 Character

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Krypten22 polycounter lvl 6
Hi Polycount!

I'm starting a new project today, a likeness study of Jon Bernthal aka. The Punisher, and making him a game-ready character in UE4. This is for a university assignment, so my timeframe is about 3 weeks. I'm going to go through the process of high poly, low poly, unwrapping, baking and texturing, and getting him in engine, so my intent is to use this thread as somewhat of a journal throughout my project, and to receive critique from this wonderful community! Probably worth noting that this is my first proper likeness study, and I consider myself a beginner with character sculpting!

I'm intending on using ZBrush and Max for the high and low polys, and baking and texturing in Substance Painter.

I've put together a couple of moodboards to use as reference:

I'm aiming on posting some progress every other day, starting with now. Here's where I'm currently at with the high poly:

As you can see today I've mainly been focusing on the face and upper body.

I've also made sure to preserve the lower subdivs so I can make larger changes to form and proportion without destroying the model:

Any feedback or critique anyone has for me at this point would be fantastic!

Replies

• nearl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nearl polycounter lvl 2
    I’d suggest focusing on the head first.  Don’t spread yourself thin at the start.  
  • Krypten22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nearl Thanks for the advice mate, I've taken it on board and moved away from the rest of the body for now!

Here's some progress this morning, working on getting the eyes in. I'm not very good when it comes to eyes, so any feedback/critique would be great! :)

• Krypten22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress today, been working on getting the likeness as close as possible before moving onto the rest of the body and clothing. Any C&C at this point would be amazing! Ears still need lots of work :)

• Krypten22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing some lighting and hair ahead of the final render of the face.

• Krypten22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big progress update here! WIth the deadline two weeks away, I've been going through the high poly process trying to get to a point where I'm happy with moving forward to retopo. Any C&C at this point would be amazing so I can get it looking ace before creating the game-ready meshes!

I've used some of BadKings awesome IMM brushes for certain parts, such as the belts and pouches, and the laces on the boots :)

Really need to put more work into the folds and creases on the clothing, but any feedback is very welcome!
    Thanks guys :)