Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag: Stand alone or Steam?

AndySC
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AndySC polycounter lvl 5
I've seen Toolbag has come on sale on Steam,  and I'm expecting/hoping the stand alone version to follow suit. 
While there are plenty of discussions about the software,  I can't find anything about the differences,  or benefit of either version in terms of updates/support etc.
It's been on my shopping list for a while,  it's just deciding which version to go for. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Keep an eye out for sales on the stand alone version starting tomorrow - Black Friday.

There are no differences in functionality between the Steam version and the stand alone version. The only differences are DRM, Steam uses the Steam API to log in and verify your licenses, while the stand alone version uses your Marmoset ID (email address) to verify the license.

The standalone DRM is similar to Steam's system, your license is tied to your account rather than hardware locked to your computer. If you have a laptop and a desktop that you switch between (or a home and work computer) you can swap the license by simply clicking a link in an automated email.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The Steam version works great if you want to use Marmoset on multiple machines (not at the same time though). It's totally seamless. Just run Marmoset, that's it.
  • AndySC
    Offline / Send Message
    AndySC polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you. It's good to know there's no differences to worry about.  Purchased and added to my software to learn, after Substance. I'm currently working on the November/December challenge which will be a good opportunity to try it out.