Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: changing "pattern overlay" style on a material

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
b0lly polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys!
I have a pretty dumb question and I feel stupid for not figuring this out because I know I've changed it a billion times. Either I messed up something in my DDO project or the part of my brain with this info just gave up. 

So, when I choose a material (not a smart material, just a normal one) for example Steel - Scratched, I know I'm supposed to be able to change the pattern overlay in the gloss and spec map in DDO to something different, for example a grunge map or whatever to make the metal appear as I want it. But I just can't remember where I change this. I was sure it was changed in the "texture" and "texture (secondary) in dynamask editor but that changes the albedo to the maps too so the correct black metal albedo is changed to the grey or white-grey masking pattern. 

I hope someone can help me out with this silly issue. 

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Changing pattern overlay types is done via two methods: At the bottom of the DDO window with the current layer selected, right above the opacity slider, or via Photoshop itself for that specific layer in the Layer Styles menu. Hope this helps!
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
     No, I'm not sure what you are referring to..where above the opacity slider? 
    and if i change it manually in photoshop I have to change it in both spec and gloss and make sure to choose the same grunge map. and then there is no way to mess around with the values of it, right?

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The Texture Intensity slider has a little O next to it. You can adjust the blend mode for that specific texture pattern from there. Alternatively, this is also done easily through PS as well. Changing via PS or DDO makes no difference in this case as texture blends for patterns are done per channel, not across all texture channels.
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing tho, I get that it changes blend mode but I want to change the pattern overlay mask. From for example "scratches 01" to "rust 02" or whatever.
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    I might want to pick a metal material and for whatever reason change the masking pattern from the deafault "scratches" to "leakage" or somethig from the grunge-category. thats what i need help with!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Changing the material is done via selecting the material orb in the layer and choosing a new material. Changing the masking pattern itself is done via DynaMask. I have a full write-up for texturing in DDO that you might find useful: https://quixel.se/tutorial/vehicular-hard-surface-detailing-using-quixel-ddo/
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I know, thats what I think I've done in the past, but now when I tried changing the masking pattern it applies to albedo aswell which gives for example a metal material a grey/white albedo instead of a black one with a masking pattern in gloss/specc.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    When you say "masking pattern", you're referring to the category of basic materials called Masking Patterns, right? If so, you'll need to copy the layer style from the albedo to the other map layers manually. DDO isn't set up to use those masking patterns as anything but albedo maps. You could go into the material folder itself and use the masking patterns to create another custom material by loading the same pattern into all texture slots (aside from normals) to use it across all channels simultaneously.