Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Searching for advises

Hello to everyone, here`s my model of some kind of sci-fi grenade. While modeling I faced some issues, and I will be very grateful if you will give me advises about them.

So the first of all, and the most
important for me, is geometry issue. I created low poly in zbrush using ZModeler.
Here i got all the "problematic zones" that i want ask about

1) I don't remember how those 2 loops was created, but i cant delete them not with zmodeler, and not with maya. any ways to fix that?
2) is that strange "star" shape around pit is ok?
3) most of the work was done in zbrush with radial symmetry on, so i don't know how could this happened ( strange polys at the left that not symmetrical to the right one )
4) i got that "V" formed edges after extruding those bricks. can i manually delete them and remake like it shown with blue color?
5) Very crazy thing happened to this sphere at the top, and how can this be avoided in the future? Or why this happened?
6) this edge loop was created after extruding this box to the left, can i just delete it?

The next topic that i want to ask about is UV. I watched some tutorial abut UV`s and
there was said that my UV must be as straight as possible, they must have rectangle shape, like "1" at screenshot below. But if i try to align "2" check pattern goes all crazy, and "3" got strange deformation. Is this all because all my polygons have triangle form? Or some times UV island just must have that strange form?

And final one, render.
Here is what i got with Substance painter and Toolbag. Issue that i faced here was those extra edge glow above the pit. Geometry seems solid to me,

so it shouldn't  be there. I can fix that by manually editing emissive map in photoshop, but i think that not the right way to do it. Can you give me some advice about that?

Thanks for reading all this :^)
If you can point at some other mistakes that were made i would be very grateful.

Replies

• Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    1. Study the lessons.
    2. Study the topology.
    3.render can be improved but first
    follow steps 1 and 2.
    Good luck!

• HappyCement
    Markmars said:
    2. Study the topology.

is there any "true" way to do that, or the best for me will be just google some tutorials and watch at other people's work?
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Is this object symmetrical or most of it ?
    Can you attach low res version of the object ?
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry, but the topology is a total mess.
    I would start from scratch and keep in mind what "game" it is for and what level of detail do you really need.
    You can move quite some of the smaller details to the normal map.
    I would really suggest to watch the tutorial and then redo the item.
  • HappyCement
    Is this object symmetrical or most of it ?
    Can you attach low res version of the object ?
    it had to be symmetrical, but at some point things just go crazy :^)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RkuaivNVkNQGdXls2KR5xPy7GYkHVGtW
    there are FBX with UV`s, also zbrush tool and obj
    Dethling said:
    Sorry, but the topology is a total mess.
    I would start from scratch and keep in mind what "game" it is for and what level of detail do you really need.
    You can move quite some of the smaller details to the normal map.
    I would really suggest to watch the tutorial and then redo the item.

I know about that, from the beginning the main goal of this was to have some practice with UV`s and baking normal maps so i don't really cared about geometry, but then i realized how bad i am and now making some kind of correction work to know  main weak points. But as you and other people recommended, i should really began from the basics.

So the thing for me right now its just basic low poly tutorials about shapes and geometry?
    Big thanks for your replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Easiest way to clean this up is to chop it to just 1/4 of whole thing , clean that part and use mirror symmetry or mirror and wield 
    There are a lot of edges that doesn't do anything (see attached image ) clean them all and you will have nicely optimized game res model 

• Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I know about that, from the beginning the main goal of this was to have some practice with UV`s and baking normal maps
    A good topology is the base for a good UV, which is the base for a good bake, which is the base for a good texture. :)

The shape of the granade is not the problem, the topology is.
    I would really watch the tutorial mentioned above (there is also a good knife/kukri tutorial from the same guy).
    Try to get a clean low poly model and you will see how much easier the UV creation will be. ;)
  • HappyCement
    Easiest way to clean this up is to chop it to just 1/4 of whole thing , clean that part and use mirror symmetry or mirror and wield 
    There are a lot of edges that doesn't do anything (see attached image ) clean them all and you will have nicely optimized game res model 

so basically i must aim to have only those edges, that  creates silhouette of my model, and all other edges that may be created while modeling i can calmly delete?
    Dethling said:
    I know about that, from the beginning the main goal of this was to have some practice with UV`s and baking normal maps
    A good topology is the base for a good UV, which is the base for a good bake, which is the base for a good texture. :)

The shape of the granade is not the problem, the topology is.
    I would really watch the tutorial mentioned above (there is also a good knife/kukri tutorial from the same guy).
    Try to get a clean low poly model and you will see how much easier the UV creation will be. ;)
    yeah, i should spend some time watching tutorials

Thanks for your replies, they helped me a lot :^)

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically yes if edge doesn't help you represent the high res model silhouette you don't need it