Home Technical Talk

Significant wobble with cintiq on ergotron arm

ShadyDev
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ShadyDev polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys - finally got my cintiq 22 and after seeing how massive the thing was, decide to get an ergotron arm for better use with my setup. Pretty sure i installed the ergotron arm correctly and have tightened all of the fittings significantly but i am still getting a pretty ridiculous amount of wobble on the cintiq. So much so that im almost considering breaking the whole thing down. This cant be common, i know a lot of people use ergotron arms with cintiqs - does anyone have suggestions to minimize the wobble or some kind of retrofit to calm it down? Theres no way i can work on this at the moment. Thanks for the input! 

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nope, that's the way it is. Ergotron Arms are not designed to be worked on, they are just made to hold a display up. Your best bet is to simply use it as a way to manipulate the screen more easily while still keeping the bottom/long edge resting on your desk. Now it's kiiinda possible to work with it while standing up, with the arm being as vertical as possible ... but yeah, it will wobble.

In general don't make any assumptions about what people seem to be comfortable doing. For some reason many artists are okay with putting themselves through incredibly bad working conditions (claw grip when painting with a tablet, no keyboard shortcuts, and so on). That doesn't mean that you have to do the same.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    you could attach a cylinder under it, so that the cyclinder can rest on the table
    similar to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kukrx5RfhNw

• ShadyDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadyDev polycounter lvl 4
    thanks for the info. Ill have to try the cylinder idea. Ive got a towel just resting underneath the bottom edge at the moment so i can position it better for resting it on my desk without worrying about messing up the monitor or the desk. It seems to keep the wobble down a bit, although its still noticeable.