Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wet knife

omaxis
null
Offline / Send Message
omaxis null
If I could get some feedback on this project I am working on. I am using 3d max and Vray, it is all procedural texturing.

Replies

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Im assuming you want feedback on the knife textures. I think the dirt on the blade is a bit much and the knife textures feels a bit to noisy over all. The metal lines on the knife look too pronounced, unless you mean for it to be some extremely brushed metal. I dont think ive seen a knife with metal that looks that way, most are polished metal with few imperfections.
    The wood look good but I think you could have added a bit more depth between the planks, at the moment it feels like its a flat surface with a wood texture on it.

Its a good start though, if you work on it a bit more I think you can make it great :smile:
  • omaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omaxis null
    I updated the blade texture and added more depth to the wood floor.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Need more color variation in the dirt wear

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I also want to add the distribution of dirt on the knife could be more realistic.

It's all over/uniform when it should really be concentrated heavily in some areas, and lighter in other parts. Or I would make the dirt look "smeared" to show it was physically handled by someone.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Since Jordan and Brian covered the blade, I would suggest that you change or modify the floor for the final render. It's very noisy and distracting.

Edit: I would make the floor a lighter tone of color since the blade shaft is very dark.
  • omaxis
  • omaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omaxis null
    I think i got this blade material working........  I could be wrong, I tried to follow the advice I got from you guys. (Thank you by the way) The  wood floor still needs work.
  • omaxis
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It looks alot better. I think you could push the lighting and camera position more. It is hard to see the shapes of the knife, and personally I do not like the sharp depth of field. Also the knife is not really in focus of the image, as half the image is just floor boards. 
  • wormo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wormo polycounter lvl 5
    It is hard to see the shapes of the knife
    Also the knife is not really in focus of the image
    I also agree with these things. the new material seems to have lost a bit of the knife shape that we could see before. it may need more gloss/reflection... it's kinda flat now.

if this a render meant to show off the knife you should bring it in a lot closer. if you're trying to do a creepy scene or something more emotional than just a tech piece, I would choose a different angle altogethere.