Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly master study progress (need Critique)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
AshishVerma polycounter lvl 8
So from past few weeks I've been practicing some digital artwork based on famous master sculptures. Below is the progress so far I've made. Some Critiques will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. A digital sketch I did a month ago (day 6)

2. I thought there'll be no point in doing another digital sketch of the same so this time I created it in a form of some basic tones over the line artwork (day 12)

both artwork is based on the following sculpture

Replies

• mnxoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mnxoh polycounter lvl 14
    Hello. The problem I see here is that your studies are not exactly based on a sculpture but on a photo of a sculpture.
    I'd like to ask what are you actually studying? What is your goal in doing such study?
  • AshishVerma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My goal over here is not to replicate the photo as it is but to capture the essence/mood of the sculpture in the form of may be a sketch or a painting for example in the first one I was more concerned with the my cross hatching strokes differentiating the light and dark and some form. While on the second one I want to show the same with the help of some basic shades of grey. As I am kind of new to digital art my study is more about capturing the emotion/feeling of the artwork rather than replication of them. I hope this answers your question.
  • mnxoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mnxoh polycounter lvl 14
    Ok. Some more questions.
    What is that esence/mood/emotion/feeling that you tried to capture?
    Do you feel that you have captured it?

I think that your choice of reference photo made it harder for you. The photo is small (if that was the size you worked from). There's little contrast between light and shadow. Multiple light sources/too much reflected light. Makes the form more vague and difficult to define.
  • AshishVerma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By all that (essence/mood/emotion/feeling), I mean one should get the same feeling for example what one feels viewing that photo of the sculpture (in this case my reference image), the same feeling he should get after watching the sketch and the painting. Now whether I've accomplished it or not is not mine to decide, its viewers perspective. For instance, one of the guys (on deviantart) told me that this (painting) reminded of him  of a roman sculpture artwork from some music art-cover he's seen somewhere sometimes ago. He made that connection automatically after watching the painting.