Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot 2017 Art Contest] - Witch Jinx

triangle
Offline / Send Message
McKennaKhelpi triangle

Edit:/ Final for contest:

Edit://  Final color passes, adjustments will likely happen during the illustration itself. While I work on the thumbs I'd love some feedback on the three schemes!
Edit:// 12 -  18 -17// I finally have a calmer work schedule and had time to continue on this, I decided to go with Witch Jinx! 
Thumbnails are on a post below!
Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to polycount and I'm super excited about this contest. I put together a list of skin ideas that I'd like to do for the contest, but am fairly undecided on which to do. I've bolded the ideas I'm most drawn to right now, but would love some input on what y'all would like to see!
My plan is to fully design a skin before beginning the illustration c: 

Edit:// I've decided to explore Witch Jinx, Ironforged Taliyah, and Dragon Trainer Karma a little before deciding. At least its narrowed down!!

Replies

• ChrisIsOssim
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisIsOssim triangle
    I really dig the idea of seeing a dragon tamer karma! It might be cool to explore ideas on the dragon sorceress side as well? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • Ahlka
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahlka vertex
    Witch Jinx is cool but actually she had already Star Guardian ( magic power >_< ) so I think that Karma Dragon Trainer is pretty cool ! 
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    I really dig the idea of seeing a dragon tamer karma! It might be cool to explore ideas on the dragon sorceress side as well? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Thanks for your input! I'll have to feel that out, as sorceress really does seem to fit her character a bit more than dragon trainer!

Ahlka said:
    Witch Jinx is cool but actually she had already Star Guardian ( magic power >_< ) so I think that Karma Dragon Trainer is pretty cool ! 
    Thats a good point! Star Guardian is one of my favorite skins of hers too <3 
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    So today I doodled up two "intent" drawings, which I like to do when I have a good feeling about how I want to go about a project. I do this before I look up reference as to not fill the pot and let my own creativity flow. Now that I have a visual idea of where I'd like to go with these two skin Ideas, I'm going to start digging up reference for them and doing more exploration! 

Which idea do y'all like better?
  • Myshuchibi
    Witch jinx !! ♥
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    witch jinx definitely!
  • McKennaKhelpi
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    Witch jinx !! ♥
    witch jinx definitely!

Thank you both! Im having a ton of fun thumbnailing her now that my work schedule has calmed down a bit !
  • Silvarspark
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    Dont make a concept sketch with only part of the champion. If you go for Jinx, think about the weapons from the beginning too.
    As much as I like the witch hat, it doenst fit Jinx. At least ingame, she doesnt wear hats. You could try putting it on her back though.
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    Dont make a concept sketch with only part of the champion. If you go for Jinx, think about the weapons from the beginning too.
    As much as I like the witch hat, it doenst fit Jinx. At least ingame, she doesnt wear hats. You could try putting it on her back though.
    Thank you for the feedback!  I'll definitely include the weapons in the next set, that makes a lot of sense now that I think about it - since they are a big part of her silhouette too! I love the idea of the witch hat on her back :)
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle

Big update here! I forgot to upload my original moodboard earlier, and while it served its purpose, I think I'll be compiling a more specific one soon. While concepting I realized that witch could be a pretty broad idea - ranging from a cute garden witch, to a traditional witch, to a voodoo witch and more. So I narrowed my ideas down to four fairly similar witch types. 

The two ideas I'm thinking I'm going to pursue are the potion witch and the monster rescuer witch - but I'd love to know everyone's opinions on which witch they like best ;)

I also had time to quickly sketch out some ideas for her huge array of weaponry, and hair styles! <3 

• Owly
    Offline / Send Message
    Owly vertex
    Although I like E for the hair I feel like B fits better for the character. Love the Witch Jinx idea! Great work! :blush:
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    @Owly Sorry  for the late reply, but thank you! I ended up taking that advice and going for a version of B!
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle

I'll be considering one of these the final design, but I'd love some feed back as I start the thumbnails... time to jump into this illustration business!
  • Innocent_Prime
    Offline / Send Message
    Innocent_Prime keyframe
    Hi @McKennaKhelpi !
    Nice designs in your thread!
    As for the color, Jinx tend to have cliché color patterns. In consequence, since it's kind of a halloween skin, i would pick a colour scheme like dark purple, vivid orange. To my mind, any of your current proposition could do the trick, but you need a more vivid colour in your palette, for now it's a bit pastel for this character.
    B. B! Replace pink by orange

Ah! Wait!
    Her socks and top where better before. Like, the top with oldschool stitches was awesome and her frog sock too (you know the coiled one, it looks like a frog is eating her leg or she stomped a prince charming ahah)

And i like her braids, it looks like stacked scarecrows heads.

Bye
  • McKennaKhelpi
  • McKennaKhelpi
    Offline / Send Message
    McKennaKhelpi triangle
    What a wild ride! While I can definitely say I wish I gave myself more time, Im really happy I got a mostly finished piece done between work and my schoolism class and a pre planned trip. The last few images uploaded were process from the last 48 hours c: I'm excited render this further for my portfolio, it was so much fun!

Thank you to everyone who gave feed back and commented along the way c: