Home Unreal Engine

How do I start building my level?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I'm aiming to create a low-poly 'quad-poly' style of level that looks something like:

I love the art style but will modify it for a different genre of game.

My question is what's the best way to get started!?

1) Using terrain as a "base".
2) Creating modular assets and sticking them together.
3) Creating a large plane and start working?

I'm kind of lost on just how to get started.

Replies

• MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    depends on the style of the game (in both mechanics and visuals), in this instance id say modular assets would be the way to go, sketching the layout and what assets you think you will initially need is a good idea to breakdown the work , or even just blocking it in using the geometry tools in Unreal be useful.
  • Vexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexar polycounter lvl 3
    You want to start with 3rd person template and setup your camera and controls then learn the terrain tools and learn how the basics work, the Unreal 4 engine comes with enough prototype bits to make grey block levels and or you can learn the CSG tools and or bring your own stuff in. To get a flat shaded look you can set the render setting by material including the terrain just do a search for flat shaded unreal4 engine and it should show you some of the tricks to get that look.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for the feedback. Worked out I can block out something in Unreal with Brushes then import geometry after.